Jailtime for not paying a traffic ticket?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by iMarihuana, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Hey GC, first off sorry if this is in the wrong section i had no idea where to write this.

I recieved a traffic ticket a few months ago and have finally come around to taking care of it. I decided to do defensive driving since i cannot pay the ticket. The defensive driving keeps needing more and more BS from me, and now i have to get a notarized document to prove im legally from Texas!

I am at the point to where i want to either say fuck it and do some time in jail and knock it out of the way, or wait until i move to AZ next month. I have been looking ALL over the internet to see how many days i would do for something as minor as a $200 traffic ticket. I can find nothing! I was thinking of calling the court but i really don't like talking to those pricks and you guys are so much nicer :)

So if i were to turn myself in, do you guys have any ideas on how long jailtime would be? I would really not mind putting in a few days but really no more than that. Also, what would be some repercussions to simply leaving state and ignoring the issue? I mean it would not be fun to have a warrant on my head...

I know this is a pretty serious issue to take to a forum on marijuana use, but you guys are all intellegent and i could give a bigger fuck what big corporate sites tell you :p

Thanks guys!

2. dude are you kidding me... jail time? stand up for yourself and save your butthole

3. A credit union or bank usually has notary services.

The other option is go to court and show financial hardship. They will usually reduce your fine or allow you a payment schedule. :smoke:

4. From what I remember I think it's about $100 per day, so if your fine is $200, you also have to figure in court costs and an additional fine they will asses, you'd probably only be looking at 3-4 days tops for your ticket. I had friends that were sick of el paso cops giving tickets every chance they get, so they did just that, the city uses tickets to raise revenue, and when you take the jail time instead, they end up losing money, so it's a great way to stick it to the man! Now, keep in mind I was from El Paso, and I haven't lived there in about 7-8 years now, so I don't know if it's still the same, or if it's the same in the D/FW area. But it's probably not too far off. Good luck with that!:wave:

5. Traffic tickets are another scam invented rob you of your income. Cops in Florida routinely ticket people for things that are not illegal even after the courts have ordered that they stop. As long as people are willing to pay fines for things that are perfectly legal they will continue this practice.

You can check out this guy for ways of fighting traffic tickets with out paying the fine. :Tactikalguy1's channel - YouTube

Also:

MarcStevens.net | No product or service should be provided at the barrel of a gun
    http://AdventuresInLegalLand.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw2Bj51TyLY]Beating Civil Traffic Tickets - Part 1 Standing - YouTube[/ame]

6. Also please examine your ticket carefully and insure that there is no strange or unusual writing on it that could indicate a secret communication from the police to the court.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb9VnvbYGak]Cops & Judges Caught Using Secret Codes On Tickets - YouTube[/ame]

7. Thanks for all the help guys. Im still not entirley sure on jailtime but after hearing it is about $100 a day that makes me feel like i want to do it somewhat lol.

I am going to check out these videos and also talk to the municipal court tomorrow and confirm how long i would stay. Ill be back with reports.

8. Also, nobody answered my question on what could happen if i just say fuck it.

Have any of you guys ever had warrants out (probably, lol)? If so how does it affect the day to day picture of life. Clearly it wont be to easy to get certain things done. But can you live a daily life?

9. First thing first check local laws. I know that in CA where I live, if you don't pay a traffic ticket it will turn into a bench warrant. All that means is if you get stopped by the cops and they run your name they most likely are going to arrest you. But other then that the cops are not going to come looking for you.

Also when ever dealing with traffic tickets always plea not guilty. It will only cost you an extra court date but no more then the fine they are already imposing. If for what ever reason the cop doesn't show up, you win. If the cop does show up then you have to pay the fine, same as just pleading guilty in the first place.

10. We actually have a common law right to travel but when we get a license and register our cars we are contracting with the bureaucracy and agree to be fined for breaking their statutes and codes.

The system has figured out excellent ways of tricking us and bullying us in to giving up our rights in exchange for privileges that come from the government themselves.

Believe it or not there are people who are driving with no license every day.

This guy played the leader of the black widow biker gang in the movie Every Which Way But Loose. He knows the difference.

Rights come from God; privileges come from man. "choose this day whom you will serve"
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3TST4cgFNM]Australian Common law Rights & Civil - YouTube[/ame]

11. The bench warrant part is right. Also, you say you are planning on moving, I did the same thing, left an unpaid ticket here and there. When I moved here to the Philly area, I tried to get a PA drivers liscence, and they ran a liscence number check that came up with about 4 or 5 tickets I didn't know about, had to pay each of them to get a liscence here. :rolleyes:

They might do the same thing when you get to AZ, or they might not, I have no idea, but if the ticket is only $200, and it's only $100 a day, might as well spend one weekend in county to get the ticket taken off the books, just to be safe.

As for the part about might as well plead not guilty, I've tried that before, ended up paying just as much for the court cost as the ticket itself would have been for pleading guilty. This was in El Paso. I also did the defensive driving to get a ticket dismissed, it also ended up once I paid court cost and the price for the DD class, costing just as much as the ticket would have cost. They really are out to make it a lose-lose situation, just out to fleece the general public for every last dollar they can. That's why taking the jail time for it is a better deal, refuse to pay a single dime to those leeches and make them pay to feed you and put you up for a few nights. Your best bet is to check in a few hours before midnight, that will count as your first day, then they'll probably let you out a few minutes past midnight to cont as your last day, if you end up with the $200 ticket plus like as a wild guess, $85 in court costs, you might end up actually spending about 1day and a couple hours altogether, if you play it right. And the cops in booking wil know you're just taking jail time instead of paying the ticket, they'll be trying to get you out as soon as they can too.:p

12. 4 or 5 outstanding tickes...lol. :p

I'll tell you a scam that I've seen before. Months after you've paid your ticket the court will contact you and tell you that it is unpaid. If you did not pay with a check or have some proof that you paid it you will end up paying it again.