J.D. Salinger is dead :(

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Highest, Jan 28, 2010.

1. We're the opposite. I couldn't even get through half of Catch-22. I found the language too convoluted, and the plot to be absolutely boring, and I read a TON of books. Joseph Heller just does not do anything for me.

Catcher just speaks to me, for some reason. I think that's the beauty of books though...each one will speak to us differently.

Catcher in the Rye is all about alienation, rebellion, and finding oneself, something I think many kids can identify with. It's also written in a smooth prose: it's not a hard book to read, and everything just seems to flow together. Because of the ease of the language it's easy for readers to identify with certain of Holden's characteristics...something I think people can't do when they read the book as adults.

It certainly is the perennial "teenage angst" novel, but I think when you start to examine it a bit closer it's much more than that. It's a story that everybody, at one point or another in their lives, can identify with. Some people just choose to read this novel too late, and the magic is already gone.

2. #22 TearDownGod, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
    ^^ I can't genuinelly respond to that without insulting Salingers' writing style 100%, getting into semantics and qoutes and details and shit, and the book itself as well, not cool to do when you've peacefully remembering an an excellent man--nor do I wish to disucss this via PM soi i'll just drop it. :) Glad you guys liked the book. Maybe when I finsish it i'll understand... But 145 pages in... It's just a semi- interesting rambling drag. I could go on and on about catch-22, but this isn't the thread for it soooo goodnight folks ;) Sorry for the semi- irrelevent conversation. I'll repost if I change my mind :p

edit- read DUNE. Final note.

3. That's what I thought too.