Ivy League professor sues students for "anti-intellectualism"

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by CosmicSerpent, May 6, 2008.

1. I find this article absolutely hilarious. Obviously we need to ban free thought. :rolleyes:

2. Dammit, I forgot that threads in this section have to involve organized religion in some way to get replies. :rolleyes:

3. Unless its bkadoctaj. :) Anyway, what's new? Someone should have just passed her a J.

4. ridiculous man. people need to give it up. some people are so far caught up in shit... i dont even feel like getting into it.

5. leave it to an eco-feminist...

sounds like she couldnt take the heat in the ivy league (wait til you meet a roomful of people who were ALL validictorians at their high schools, and think they are gods gift to intellectuality and you will see what i mean.)
    when you're dealing with a group of rich (or entitled with scholarship) kids who've only heard about how great they are sinse they were in the womb, then its not something we would expect to be out of the ordinary.

ivy league professors need balls, and only to care about their research and bureaucracy and not the production of intellecutal minds. that will only get in the way of my experienced interpretation of their job description.

i have a cousin who just retired from a tenured philosophy position. (yes, philosophy.) he said he got out at a young age because the college (univ.) was pretending to teach, and the students were pretending to learn. and he was a fucking philosophy professor and double phd... if colleges are just "selling" degrees for something as abstract as philosophy, then we're all fucked.

6. Now if only ALL students felt free to openly discuss and criticize in class.

It seems the very nature of the class was open to opposing opinions. This teacher probably just never encountered someone who would openly criticize her theory.

As for the lawsuit, I hope she fails miserably and all the students in her class counter sue her.

7. I think its a great idea to sue your students just because they question a school of thought.

8. this is the exact opposite goal in which a liberal arts education, especially an ivy league institution, is trying to pursue.

9. Ahahaha :D

Some people take themselves a bit to serious. This one really cracked me up "consulting a physician about 'intellectual distress', she cancelled classes for a week." :rolleyes:

She should try living in the real world, doing some actual work. Relating to actual customers, clients, colleagues and not least, bosses. Intellectual distress would be the last thing on her mind :D

But hey, that's why we got beer and weed, righ? :smoke:

( :yay: Weekend with sunshine after a very busy week :yay: )

10. the account about the guy who quit teaching because universities are selling degree's is sad, but true.

A friend of mine just dropped out of University, when he had one more semester left on his degree, for the exact same reason.

I almost did the same. Well I did drop out at the beginning of the junior year, with citations that univesity was a sham because you can just skirt through the classes without ever actually learning anything, but I went back, grudgingly cause I couldn't find a job.

When I went back I didn't find anything to disprove what made me leave in the first place. Except for one teacher in senior year who put on one hell of a class; and actually fostered good debates, dialog, and independent thought.

I don't know if her class was worth the $13,000 that I spent for the year; or worse the $50,000+ that I spent on the degree, but at least I got a few things to think about in one or two of the classes. in exchange for mortgaging the next 10 yrs of my life.

11. Forget the money, if you can. :) You had the experience, and you know it's up to you to make something of it.

12. I feel like I can relate to this a lot. I find myself sitting in classes looking at some of the other students and realize how much people cheat, slack, don't care, take adderall or whatever to help them "get through" college.

Half of what I did throughout my college career was regurgitate terms on exam papers. And watch a power point slide show completely identical to the book that I just paid $150 for and could have just as easily stayed home and read.

The other half was spent actually enjoying school. The diversity of the student body at my college, partying, living independently, life in general.... I learned more doing all of this then in the classroom.

I feel like it gets worse the farther you get. The more you realize how much closer to the "real world" as its so commonly put. I've got one more semester left and I'm excited to finally be done with the sham that is "Higher Education."

The only high education I got was when I went to class so stoned that I was actually interested in the bland pieces of crap that most professors call lectures. What a rant...but you get my point.

13. I dunno man, when I went to school I didn't really think about the money; but I still couldn't go to half the classes because they bored me to tears.

The only thing that it did do for me is allow me to see what the status-quo looks like, so i can avoid it.