I've got a question or two(don't laugh at me)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WithBongInHand, Mar 27, 2010.

1. kay, so I'm very new to marijuana and I decided to maybe look into growing. I have very limited space and all so I was wondering if it is possible to veg the plant for a time that would give me generally small plants(because if space). also, how can I hold the smell? I can't get any carbon filter thingys. thanks in advance. remember! I'm new. :)

2. You could try using dryer sheet or an air freshener releaser on the exhaust.

3. thanks. is it possible to veg the plant for a time that would give me generally small plants(because of space)?

4. YES u can !!not sure bout the carbon filters..but u can check my grow..hope it anwers ur questions

5. alright. thanks man. now, all I have to do is find a good way to guard the smell. about what size do u think would be the minimum for a small plant? I was lookin into maybe like 5"-8"?

6. For that size you want to go straight into flowering by giving it 12/12 timed lighting from seed. And even then it may get larger but not by much. As far as smell is concerned, you wont smell hardly anything until it starts producing buds and even at that point potency of the smell is based on the strain.

7. Are you talking 5-8" total height in the grow space, or is that the height for the plant+container, or is that the height for only the plant from the soil surface? If the last of these then it is a very tight stretch but possible with LST, if any of the other above options then it is too little space by a long shot.

A carbon filter is the best and often only effective way to deal with MJ odor. Forget dryer sheets, air fresheners, incense, candles -- all those do is try to mask one odor with another odor, and you will end up with a strong mixed odor. What you need is something that removes the odor from the air, and that is exactly what a carbon filter does. You can build one yourself cheap and easy.

8. sweet. :) yea I meant a plant 5-8 in from the soil. hah. I'll have a grow space about 2 feet tall, about 2' wide and 2' long.

do u have a link to how to make a carbon filter? thanks

also, have you guys ever heard of light bulbs that "eat" odor? they're coated in titanium dioxide or somethin. just wonderin if you guys have tried them and if they work.

9. Titanium dioxide is a whitener (actually THE whitener) never heard of it used for odor but stranger things have passed me by.

Go to one of the seed bank websites and look through their autoflowering offerings. I believe they tend to be shorter, and the strain description may give you an idea of how tall the plant gets naturally. Autoflowering plants may be the way for you to go. Do a bit of a search on grow boxes in computer cases to see what people have done there.

A carbon filter can be made with a computer fan, coffee can and activated charcoal to help with the odor.

Good luck,
    Tyg

10. I did a search on dryer sheets, and I ended up in your thread here. My question is do you think its okay to use dryer sheets on my passive intake to protect from any dust entering my grow box? I'm not worried about the exhaust, I pretty much have that under control. What I'm trying to achieve is clean air entering my box. The intake is 2 - 2" diameter holes with PVC 90 elbows inserted into them (for a light trap) and there is no fan.

Do you think dryer sheets would keep from have dust enter or is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance.

-jfats :smoke:

11. there's such thing as autoflowering plants? weird.. alright thanks guys.

12. The autoflowering trait is from the ruderalis strain. Unfortunately, ruderalis also has little to no THC. Some breeders have crossed ruderalis strains with indica and/or sativa strains to produce autoflowering plants that still yield some THC. Many growers shy away from them because they still are not as potent as strains with no ruderalis lineage, instead using a variety of other techniques that keep fully-potent strains low.

Jfats, nice thread hijack :rolleyes: ...but don't use dryer sheets on the intake, that will disperse the fabric softener off of the sheets and onto your plants. To keep dust and bugs out use the feet of stockings as a filter.

13. ...And, those odor-controlling CFLs are supposed to be somewhat effective against mild odors, they won't do a thing for a pungent MJ grow. If you search this site for threads with the word carbon in the title you should find several tutorials.

14. Maybe on the exhaust? but i wouldn't do on passive, use cheese cloth perhaps.

15. what is meant by limited space....'cause there are several different options: there are PC tower grow, ,micro grows, tent grows and of course closet grows. the truth of the matter is that you really can't do much about the smell. you will need a carbon scrubber which you can make yourself for cheap. you can do a short vegging but you will not only be affecting the size of your plant but you yield to some extent. if you grow an indica it will be smaller than a sativa dominant strain. however, indicas tend to be more pungent while sativas tend to be most odorous during bloom. likewise there are strains that minimize smell but you will still have to contend with the odor in some shape form or fashion....

i know that dryer sheets was mentioned ... don't go that route instead just purchase an OnaBlock or Gel

16. to keep a plant small, apart from LST, keep it in a small pot. IMO 1.5 gallons should serve you well for a 5''-8'' plant.