I've been a bum

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by wsrd4b2, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Pretty much since I got out of the military, in early 2010. So, on the 1st of the month, my fiancee and I are signing up for a gym membership. Well, it's the rec center, but they have a little fitness area with a few machines.

So, my question to you all is this:
    Where the hell should I start???

A little background: I've been smokng for about 4 years now, I go through about 2 packs a week. In high school I did tennis, marching band, and basketball, up until my senior year. SO from 17 to 19 I didn't work out, and then joined the military.

So really what I'm asking is, should I just start working out till I just about puke (how it was in basic, I couldn't run a mile but after 9 weeks I ran a two mile is 18 mins, not fast but a vast improvement) or should I more so ease myself into it.

I'm looking to tone and lose some of the weight on my abdomen. I'm 5'8 and weigh 128 soaking wet with rocks in my pocket. At my most fit I was a solid 135 and I want to get back to that.

Any tips, hints, ideas on what workouts I should concentrate on? I plan on riding the bike a lot, I want to get into mountain biking and need to get my cardio to a decent level.

Are there any supplements I should take to give myself that initial energy boost, or should I just let my body do that naturally? I've never been a fitness nut, but I just moved to a town with very little bud, and not a whole lot to do. There are places to go hiking close by though, would that also help?

Oh and I plan on quitting smoking sometime around the 1st, once I figure out when the pack I have around then will run out.

TL;DR: I'm an itty bitty looking to get back to my fighting weight.

2. 5'8", 128lbs? Sounds like you really don't have much "extra" weight on you... I'd say your workouts should be more weight training than cardio.

I'm at a fairly similar body height/weight. I went to a personal trainer for my diet and gym routine. If you want, I'll PM it to you when I get a chance, maybe you can tweak it a bit to work for you. I started in January and have been strict since then, I'm in much better shape with visible results. I cycle through three gym routines, and usually go 3-4 times a week. Then on the weekends I go mountain biking, which is a blast. If I have time, I like going for a ride during the week as well.