It's Not Enough

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Postal Blowfish, Aug 13, 2011.

1. My mind "subjectively feels" that there is more than mind and body because of experiences I have had that could be termed "classical mystical experiences." The subject of those experiences does not matter in the long-run; rather, the only thing that matters is the transformative effect they have had on my life. I feel that there is a soul because it makes the most sense to me, in my world view (which is partially derived from those experiences that I had). Just as theoretical physicists use "dark matter," something that is not physically seen but fits what they observe, to explain the ineffable and untestable.

Now, it IS enough to be who we are. But when has it ever been wrong to aspire to be a little bit more, even if those dreams are "false," as people keep putting it? Never, I think, and I would hate to live in a world where people think "well, this is who/what I am, I need to accept it and progress/try to progress no further." True spirituality is about progression. Religion is about stagnation. The various beliefs, whether there is a soul or not, or a G-d or not, or an afterlife or not, really don't matter in the larger picture. All that matters is that you wake up, everyday, a better person than you were the day before.

2. Life is about progression. No one said ambition is bad. To say "because that's what makes the most sense to me" is basically a what. You had to know it was going to generate another question. Why does it make more sense? Why do you feel it is correct? The underlying question isn't as simple as it might seem.

3. Fear of the unknown. Some minds are too weak to comprehend inexistance. They can't handle that they will have a finite life that on a cosmic scale is totally worthless. So they get suckered into a framework designed for exerting social control.

4. Happiness makes more sense to me. If my interpretation to my experiences give me that, then it just makes sense to pave that path. I always question my own interpretations, which makes me feel insane, but I feel its best to go with the flow. Asking why only makes sense for so long... then you just decide to live how you see fit.

5. now your just making assumptions about others;):smoking:
    what makes you believe this to be true?

what causes you to have believe in this idea?

from the op....
    i ask still myself this^ so often .......

just cus what this is really about is exploring our minds....

does your perspective in anyway help you to answer the op questions.....

6. I thought this might happen. Apparently I am not being well enough understood.

You say "happiness makes more sense to me." I am asking "why does that make you more happy?" It's not clear what your beliefs are, but if for example you believe in the soul, I ask why do alternatives to that belief result in less happiness?

7. They don't... everyone is free to pursue there own happiness. I'm not saying my beliefs are everyones happiness..

8. The value is set by the judging observer, not by the universe itself. So that's you or me or whoever you were judging just now.

Fear of the unknown is a possibility, but it sounds too superficial to be useful as an answer. I would ask why they would fear the unknown. People often speak as if the belief in the soul (as an example) comforts them. I always wonder, would it really be so disturbing if you took the conviction and idea both away at the same time? If no one knew about the concept, would we all be disturbed?

9. Then what causes you to prefer one to others? Why does your belief mean happiness in the first place?

10. But the notion does exist.. perhaps there is a reason? Maybe not... personally, I see too much similarity in DNA and the concept of soul to deny it, but others are free to choose.

It gives me comfort knowing that were all connected and I'm not alone.

11. or would we have less to fear.......
    no soul....no after life.....no reincarnation....just this one time thru....
    and nothing elts to worry about

how many people have suffered unspeakable suffering because they were wrongfully lead to believe they were damned? for not being perfect....
    what made them believe it and not question?

why does no one ask......what god would want you to live like that?
    put you here to live like that..........
    doesnt sound like one worth following to me at all.....

12. Any notion that can be imagined can exist. You have now essentially asked the same question I'm asking.

Why?

13. i think it would be that same thing that makes some like blue better then green...some redheads over blonds....personal preference....developed thru personal experience(which encompasses alot!)...maybe....
    cus you tell yourself it does;):smoking:

14. #34 DBV, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2011
    I can't answer why to that really.. it just is what saved my life from suicidal attempts.. and its what my mind tells me. See what I mean about going insane? lol. I think this is the part where I decide to live how I see fit. (which is the same way that's been working for me)

15. sometimes ....."i dont know" really is the answer...;):smoking:

16. "i don't know" is a reason for the question and could be the answer the moment you no longer want to ask why. i am going to take the response to mean he does not want me to ask him to ask himself why there were suicide attempts.

17. I had a bad illness.. and just wanted to "get it over with" because I couldn't afford a cure. Since turning my life around, I've given more effort and am close to 100% cured! :D

18. sometimes no amount of asking why brings me any closer to an answer at all......
    sometimes no direction gives me a clear approach to the answer....

and some times...i just dont like the answer...and try to pretend /lie to myself so i dont have to see it for what it is.....
    or for what it happens to be at the moment anyway......

19. Our mind can play games with our sanity. Once we know why, I think it creates order to chaos.

20. i often feel order is an affliction...
    a way of limiting existence....

i myself create and seek out chaos!!!!!;):smoking:
    it can be such a beautiful thing!!!!!