Its funny how one's taste in music can change when you mature a bit..

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by CheechMarley420, May 15, 2010.

1. no one is right or wrong here, its all personal opinions i guess. but your taste in music certainly does mature.

2. I always thought what you (OP) said in your first post was true. Being a long haired rocker white kid. When I got to the end of high school and all through college I started discovering rap actually isn't all about that stuff. I mean I see what you're saying lots of the popular artists talk about that but lots of old and underground stuff is deep with total instrumentation on their albums. My two favorites are Jurassic Five and Gang Starr. I just thought I'd post a rockers opinion(As you can see from my signature and threads I still gravitate towards rock mainly but I have respect for Hip Hop
    :smoke:Caligulove:smoke:

3. Also Id like to say if you think rock is different you are sadly mistaken. This is my realm so you can trust me. Haven't you heard the old"sex, drugs, and rock n' roll thing. Once some interviewer told David Lee Roth(Van Halen vocalist I realize I'm on a hip hop thread) that all of his songs were about sex drugs and fast cars and he realized he had never written any songs about cars so he wrote Panama. I know there are so many artists who have very deep lyrics but the same can be said for hip hop. I am very anti pop charts. Anything that is popular deserves a listen through but you can never go in expecting much. Buy (or download, I don't care) the album album tracks always have 40 times more depth. I think I've said enough

4. listen to better rap...@OP

5. Fuck if you don't wanna listen to hip hop then don't, listen to whatever sounds good to ya:cool:
    9 pages of argument cos this guy got into some different tunes.....

6. I feel ya OP

7. I only have one problem with rap music as a genre. Other genres have their shitty aritist and stupid lyrics but pretty much every rap song is a looping of a bar with everything else built upon it. You do not see many chord changes in rap or even chords for that matter unless it has been sampled. There are good rap groups like outcast or the roots or gnarles barkley that can actually write a song and not just a vocal part to put on top of a beat. I can't wait untill rap and hiphop grow up out of its what i like to call "teen" year where the genre as a whole thinks its the greatest thing to happen to music. But I digress, Hip hop is here to stay and develope we can only hope that the geniuses will break onto the scene. Lets add a little depth, intelligence, theory and soul to this breaking out of electronic music.

8. IMHO, you need to do some research...

9. NAh, I was very much generalizing. But rock music is just 3 chrods and a 4/4 signature. Basic rap is a ceratin beat but the lyrics are the main focus. 2 true generalizations about making a type of song. Reggae is just drums on an off beat and a swining bass and usually makes use of the major and minor scales. I just want hip hop to mature. I guess its going through its 70's stage where its the shit and being the controlled by the record companies.

10. are you sure you're listening to hip-hop? tell me the artists that you're classifying like this:)

11. @ luckyscs You keep generalizing Rock is not 3 chords and a 4/4 time signature. Some rock definitely is like AC/DC and most blues based bands but there is all kinds of stuff with weird ass time signature and the absence of any sort of chord structure. Listen to Prog, Same can be said about reggae and hip hop you can't generalize that much you need to explore your genres

12. your problem is that you chose to listen to 1 genre, thats what is wrong.

do you think rap artists just listen to rap?

if you truly want to appreciate music you have to listen to EVERYTHING thats out there even the shitty music sometimes.