It's Cyanobacteria! Questions about tea!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by chopficaro, Feb 5, 2017.

1. I have been fighting what I thought was pythium and/or algae for months. After trying everything and doing some more research I have figured out that it is in fact Cyanobacteria. My research suggests that the only course is to try microbe tea. I do not understand why Voodoo juice is not working, but tea might. I need a cheap way to make a new batch of quality tea every 48 hours, and tips about concerns with its use. I have my air pump and stone, and a container to make it in. What ingredients should I use? What ingredients should I NOT use? Do I have to monitor tds and ph in the brew? Will I kill my tea when I ph my res? Any common mistakes you can help me avoid? Thanks so much for your help so far.

2. Heisenberg Tea Summary - Cheap Easy Beneficial Bacteria to Cure Root Issues is the thread I use regarding the EWC tea. There is also a link in it to Heisenberg's original post. Good reading with all of your answers.
    Cure to Root Rot in DWC with EWC TEA? Find out how is also good reading.

I use it religiously. All you need are some Earth Worm Castings, a good beneficial bacteria ( I used MycoGrow from fungi.com....it's cheap and fresh), molasses, good water, air pump and stones, bucket, and a way to keep the mixture at 70F/21C.

Read the articles.... It has all the info you need. Come back here if you have any additional questions.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I am thinking of using the voodoo juice i have already bought, zho powder and ancient forest. also, can i keep it lower than 70F?

4. I think all of those ingredients are useable, according to those threads. As far as temps, I know that the tea brews better at 70F, but the threads said to brew it at the temp you will be using it...if I remember correctly. I have been able to raise my nute temps slightly (chiller comes on at 70F/21C) since using a tea..and I see faster growth at the higher nute temps than lower

Maybe somebody else can join this thread and give you their input.....

5. Ok I finally found a Heisenberg recipe on youtube that I like. I'm taking out the voodoo juice because it is not killing the cyanobacteria. I will bubble 1 gallon of RO water with 1/8 teaspoon of great white, a small handful of Ancient Forest in a nylon, and 1 teaspoon of NPK RAW molasses for 48 hours every 48 hours and add it to the 22 gallon reservoir. Hope that's enough great white because that stuff is expensive.

6. Yes...that's why I like the MycoGrow soluble. It's less than $9 including shipping (in USA) for 1oz and it contains everything you need in it. It also seems 'fresher' than the Subculture-M that I used to use.

Good luck with your tea! I hope it will solve your root problems, like it has for me! Keep us updated!

• Like Like x 1
  7. thanks man you're a great help!