Its april 1st,watch out for that fuckin virus

Discussion in 'General' started by jack herra, Apr 1, 2009.

1. #1 jack herra, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
    here's a reporter talking to someone on ABC,also here's a couple articles about it,shit seems pretty shitty,already 10 million infected,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29975229/wid/11915829?GT1=40006

LISA MILLAR: The computer world is bracing itself for the latest virus; one so menacing that Microsoft has offered a reward of a quarter of a million US dollars for tracking down its creator.

The Conficker virus is reported to have infected 10 million computers and the experts think the 1st of April is D-Day. Just what the virus is going to do tomorrow they're not entirely sure.

Here's Carly Laird.

CARLY LAIRD: It started working its way into computers last October. Now the Conficker virus, also known as Downandup, has reportedly infected 10 million terminals.

PATRICK GRAY: Look I've seen estimates of anywhere between three and 12 million and to tell you the truth I think they're all pretty much stabs in the dark. Suffice to say it's big. I think that's the most appropriate way of trying to measure the size of this thing. It's big.

CARLY LAIRD: That's Patrick Gray who publishes an online trade magazine called Risky.biz. Along with computer experts around the globe, he's waiting to see what tomorrow will bring. The 1st of April is when conficker is set to activate.

PATRICK GRAY: The modern virus is really designed to, it's designed for profit. So what it will probably do on April 1st is install further bad, malicious software onto infected computers, which will then monitor the user's key strokes, use that computer as a way-point for SPAM email messages. Use that computer as a node in what we call a denial of service attack, where that computer upon receiving an instruction will attempt to flood a website to knock it offline.

And of course people can then blackmail the operators of those sites and say, you know unless you give us $10,000 we're going to keep this site down. So that's really what's going to happen.

CARLY LAIRD: Tyrone Miller works for Pure Hacking, a company employed by corporations to try to hack into their systems in order to test their security.

TYRONE MILLER: All of those 10 million computers would be used in a distributed way to attack a single source.

So an example of this that happened in the past was in 2004 there was a virus called the the MyDoom virus which infected millions of computers and they were all designed to kick off at the same time and attack sco.com and microsoft.com, to basically take down their websites.

And Microsoft and SCO obviously tried to put in preventative measures to handle the bandwidth consumption for their websites, but basically until the viruses got shut down, they were being attacked.

This is the same sort of circumstance where millions of computers have been infected and we're going to be waiting to see whose going to be taken down potentially, or if anything's going to happen.

CARLY LAIRD: And that could be the punchline, a devilish April fool's joke that has the computer world in suspense.

Microsoft has put a quarter of a million US dollars on the heads of the developers and distributors of the virus, a bounty, as it tries to chase those who created it. There are suggestions this one may have come from Eastern Europe.

Tyrone Miller says it is sophisticated.

TYRONE MILLER: It does things like disables Windows update, Windows security centre, Windows defender, Windows error reporting. All these things are usually used to try and fix the actual vulnerability itself, so once you actually get infected, it disables a bunch of common antivirus solutions, so even if there is a fix, you're likely not to get cleaned up.

CARLY LAIRD: Rob Pregnell from Symantec, a company specializing in creating antivirus software, describes it as a standoff.

ROB PREGNELL: A little bit like a battleground that's laid out before us but until somebody blows the whistle and starts to make a manoeuvre, starts to make a play, neither team will really know what to do to best defend themselves against that action.

CARLY LAIRD: And he agrees that this particular virus is able to pack a punch.

ROB PREGNELL: It's really a good execution on the attackers side, of bringing together all of the various techniques that have been used in recent years and in recent months, all together in one threat.

LISA MILLAR: That's Symantec's Rob Pregnell ending that report.

2. :eek: How rude.

3. Sounds like Y2K to me..

4. how does your computer get infected with the virus?

5. virus's,trojans,spyware,most the time its the persons fault for getting infected,it happens by downloading stuff that carries the virus an you probably wont know about it,

or you can just click on a simple link an a virus will be downloaded,the Internet is full of this shit,an they can do very bad things,

like steal money,steal your identity,ruin your computer,so you have to be careful about shit you do online,anyways this virus sounds nasty,definitely wouldn't want to get it

6. yea an thats what i was saying,it would infect you any other way then any other virus,

things like that cant be downloaded on your computer without the user clicking on something that lets the virus enter the computer,

7. I've got an [​IMG]

8. well microsoft is now saying that the Conficker virus is gonna be able to infect macs to,but there not to clear on it yet,

9. i'm not too worried, because there isn't much i can do to stop it, so why stress over it.

i just really hope it doesn't effect my computer, because i don't have the money to fix it or get a new one. if it fucks up i'll be off the city for a while.

..... no wait, my brother said he has a shitty computer i could have(he has like 3 comps). so w/e happens i'll still find a way to get on, but it will still suck cuz i know that comp is mad slow.

10. Linux FTW!

11. #12 Per Waui, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
    ya bet it doesn't mess with linux

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcBs6BpCixU"]YouTube - Hackers - best scene in the movie[/ame]

12. "Hi i'm a mac."

"And i'm a OMG VIDEO GAMES BRB"

13. man i had to spend like 200 bucks to get my pc fixed.got infected by that fucking conficker virus.i tried like 10 different spyware programs nothing could get rid of it,anyone else have or had this promblem.

14. Why'd you spend $200? You do realize it's pretty easy to back up your data and reinstall Windows, right? All you have to do is copy/paste all your stuff to another hard drive and insert your Windows CD. Definitely not $200 worth of work. Matter of fact, I'd probably do it for $60.

15. i didnt know were to get a replacement restore disk,i paid for him to clean the computer out an put in new anti-spyware shit,also when restoreing your pc you lose everything on it,i didnt really wanna do that anyways.