It Is Now Possible To Download An AR-15 Assault Rifle Using 3D Printing

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by g0pher, Aug 11, 2012.

1. That's not true either. Unless you are a manufacturer. If I had the tools, aluminum, and know-how, I could make an AR in my garage right now.

And rifles aren't registered in most states.

2. The forum rules are preventing me from saying almost anything of relevance.

Oh well.

3. #23 mcbuddin, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    [quote name='"Fëanor"']Whoa, you mean with expensive specialized equipment it is possible to make weapons?

Oh, wait...this is nothing new...

tons of machinists around the country (and world) already have the tools to make weapons...they can do it legally or they can do it illegally...[/quote]

I remember back in high school we would make ninja stars out of sheet metal and a corner cutter. In hindsight we made something seriously dangerous!

Point being: anyone can manufacture a weapon with the proper tools and motivation.

4. I can go to the yard and just wait for a branch to fall from a tree, and use that as a weapon...or walk over to the creek and pick up a stone to attach to that branch and make a better weapon...etc, etc...

if all else fails, someone willing to kill will use their own hands to do the deed...gun shumn, killers kill, no way to stop that with laws forbidding the honest/law abiding person from doing or owning something...

5. Who is the most prolific mass murderer or spree killer via fisticuffs?

I have three textbooks on the subject of homicide about 20 metres from where I'm sitting if we want to get into numbers.

Although it's interesting to note that our slice of history in the one in which you are least likely to be directly killed by another human being. This is despite the proliferation of automatic small arms.

I think we need to be honest here; there is a lot of correlative data that has been demonstrated by sociologists over the last 30 years between gun ownership and the value and types of homicides. The explanations behind this correlative trend have been extensive. The subculture of violence thesis is one such model which may explain, at least partially, why a correlation is exhibited.

There is no inherent policy implication there. That comes in how you interpret the data. You might just need to accept that there is a collateral consequence to your decision. Much like a finger on the trigger is a life or death decision, so too is their existence. You're only responsible for your own actions with a weapon - others don't always have the same discretion.

6. #26 mwtokin', Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    Dude this is so wrong, straight from ATF's website:

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

It's only illegal to sell or transfer it, also cannot violate any existing firearm laws (like an automatic machine gun). Further, you don't need a serial number on a non-NFA firearm. Here is a list of NFA Firearms.

7. The commercial sale of any firearm is tracked by the Federal Government. When you buy a gun you will fill out a form 4473 which the retailer will keep as long as they are in business, and will provide to ATF at any time. So there is a paper trail that people could avoid by printing their own receivers.

Many parts of the AR can't be made out of aluminum. And the equipment to produce barrels/bolts/etc costs thousands of dollars.

8. Haha, I just realized 3D printing is possible...

9. The point is that 3D printing means that anybody with 1000+ dollars can make hundreds upon hundreds of guns illegally and either use or sell them. No special skills are required and there is pretty much no paper trail. When this process becomes more perfected, cartels and other small militias will find it very useful.

10. How do they actually get the layers to stick together?

11. I would only have to make the lower, which is aluminum. Everything else can be bought without a background check of any kind.

12. Once metal 3d printers are just as/more popular than plastic 3d printers this topic will be MUCH more popular. Until then most people will just throw it on the backburner. It is a very real and awesome subject though. I can basically guess to see a whole new future black market of 3d files of weapons. Most definitely if SOPA or any of the other smaller versions of that bill pass so bought out elects can buy out and build off what(if anything) in the future passes. From a money perspective i can see 3d printers being a very good investment though....b