IT AIN’T DONE RIGHT IF IT AIN’T DONE THRICE! Personal indica dominant grow.

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by WeeDroid, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Ocean Beach. The west coast is immediately to the right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Thank you kindly for dropping in. Plant (s) will be indoors next to a south facing window. I will build a shell around the window to maximize the light. I did this last year and the link for that grow diary is within post 3 of this diary.

it’ll be a hot minute to get this going. My sprouts have not appeared as of yet and I have a bit of carpentry to do.

Last year was an experiment that worked. But I approached the project with low stress and low cost foremost in mind. Since I know this methodology is of value, I’m putting a bit more effort into it this year.
    Better (hopefully) genetics, better construction of grow space, bigger grow pot(s) than last year.

Last year I had one sativa that yielded about 4 ounces of very nice bud.

• Like Like x 2
  3. thank you.
    your first budget grow has a sativa with 4 ounces, that’s really good.

Wish you luck with your grow this year.
    Hope you set a new record.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. #25 WeeDroid, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Thanks kindly. To be clear it was not in any way my first grow. That was my 2nd attempt at this style of grow, the particular paradigms of which were unique for me.
    I have had successful indoor grows, outdoor grows and was arrested for one indoor grow.

These days I like low stress gardens the best. Throw in good genetics and a good yield and I start twitching.

Again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. … wee status update …

No sprouts yet.
    I’m kinda going hardcore with the carpentry side of this project. I tend to ponder and contemplate design decisions in crafts I’m not that experienced with.
    Woodworking and wood finishing are two crafts I am still learning, especially the latter of the two.
    I’ll be designing/drawing and cutting wood today as well as ordering some fasteners I’ve never used before. After the drawings are done I’ll have a better idea of what fasteners I am getting at the hardware store latter this week.

I want this to look amazing so we’ll see how that goes. I’m pretty happy with my sketches and design choices so far. Now it’s time to make it happen.

pictures in a few days

:hookah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. So day 11 and no bean popping yet.
    Panic has set in. :eek2:

So if nothing pops up by tomorrow, I may gently move aside some compost to take a look. I may drop another round of 3 beans in, but closer to the edges of my 3 seedling pots so I can track who sprouts when.

in the mean time; :smoking-hookah:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. … wee status update …

So I gently dug around in my pots. I found one seed, no sprouts. The one seed was very difficult for my old eyes to spot so I didn’t bother digging aggressively to find the other two seeds.
    If they had sprouted I would have found them.

So since tomorrow is the full moon I decided to drop the 3 additional seeds in then.

I finally finished waffling about on a design for the enclosure. Details as they say.
    So as of today the wood for the foundation and uprights for this enclosure are cut.
    I have about 80-95% of the fastening hardware bought for this phase. Next is sanding then finishing with tung oil.

The horizontal cross pieces and the wood panels that will hang on the infrastructure will be sanded than finished with a clear water based polyurethane finish.

The goals for the enclosure are thus:

1) Clean, cabinet style looks.
    2) Stable but not overbuilt (ha!) so as to not be too heavy.
    3) Entirely bolted components for easy assembly/disassembly.
    4) Allows easy access to plant(s) and container.
    5) Built with leftover lumber. The panels will be made with new wood most likely.

Enclosure has 3 sections:

1) Frame. This is the foundation (horizontals on the ground) and the frame uprights.
    2) Horizontal braces. These help stabilize the uprights, provide mounting surfaces for the hardware the wood panels hang on. These braces also help with controlling light leakage.
    3) Wood panels. These are the display faces of the structure so they need to have a finely finished look to them. They hang on the infrastructure and are easily removed for access to the garden.

This is going a bit more slowly than expected. I’m slow and not very experienced with wood working. But I’ve invested in some good tools and done my homework and have a built a few things in my life.
    But never fine cabinetry. :confused::confusedalt::blink::blush::mad::cautious::ninja::sad::unsure::p

Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

• Like Like x 3
  8. #29 WeeDroid, Apr 16, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    … wee status update …

So 3 more seeds dropped today, in the same pots as my first three.
    Happy discovery is that the Humboldt Seed Company had packed 12 seeds, not 10 as stated on the package.

Thank you folks!

So the first three are in the center of their respective pots. The 2nd set of three planted today are about an inch towards center, from the sides where the plastic markers are.

My big take away lesson at this point is to start germinating seeds near the beginning of March, not April as I did this year. Another technique I’ve forgotten about is using paper towels to germinate instead of compost and seedling pots.
    Paper towels are great if you are only germinating a few seeds. Seedling trays and compost are best for germinating lots of seeds.

07C70057-1C2F-4344-A1AD-ABE44F53139A.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. … wee status update …

No sprouts and exhausted from work. I have more hardware and can probably build the foundation and uprights, but I still have sanding to do then finishing.

The finishing will take at least a week, maybe two.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #31 WeeDroid, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    So I’m afraid I have sad news to report. None of my 6 beans popped.

At the same time worked has picked up and I’ve got family tragedy issues to deal with now. So rather than banging my head against a wall trying to make the garden happen I’m going to focus on other issues.

like why do I have such bad germination rates?

In the meantime I’ll keep building up my woodshop and continue with my plans to build a fine cabinet styled garden enclosure for my south facing window, with an eye to spring of 2023. This way I can have a more leisurely paced time frame for completing this particular project. I’ve done a few small wood projects but it’s slow as I am still figuring out how I want to grow my craft. Plus I’m a novice. None of it is that hard, but assembly time planning is more tricky than I thought, since I am so inexperienced at this craft.

So as I build it, I’ll document it here. When spring 2023 rolls around, I’ll start another journal and again introduce the enclosure.

i hope you are all doing well! At least now that I am working again I can buy things like bed linen and tools again. 66F61591-A88D-4FD1-8A62-71D48A1DEBBA.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. I'll toast to your good luck with my am bloody Mary. :thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. They can't afford street lights like that way out there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Is Your Weed Plants Still Alive Sorry I'm Confused RN.

Oh Ok Thanks For The Info!

~Toni~

14. This journal/thread is from last year. Which I had to abandon for reasons posted earlier. The post you are replying to has a link to my 2023 Window Grow attempt. Also called Window Grow 4.