Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Iso Hash rule of thumb?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Connorjbp, Nov 11, 2011.

1. I have made a few batches of iso hash with stems, trim or just bud.
    i read somewhere on here a long time ago about something called the rule of thumb? or i think that's what it was called.
    that you should yield at least 10% of what you put in,
    i think that only applies to trim? if it does then shouldn't stem be half that if not lower?
    for example lets say 1lb =500 grams
    and 500 grams of trim with rule of thumb= 50 grams of iso hash,
    so lets say if i use a pound of stems, shouldn't it be 5% or less? so for 500 grams of stems should it be 25 grams of hash???
    :confused::confused:
    Ahhhh just smoked a fresh batch of iso hash, and got thinking

2. [quote name='"Connorjbp"']I have made a few batches of iso hash with stems, trim or just bud.
    i read somewhere on here a long time ago about something called the rule of thumb? or i think that's what it was called.
    that you should yield at least 10% of what you put in,
    i think that only applies to trim? if it does then shouldn't stem be half that if not lower?
    for example lets say 1lb =500 grams
    and 500 grams of trim with rule of thumb= 50 grams of iso hash,
    so lets say if i use a pound of stems, shouldn't it be 5% or less? so for 500 grams of stems should it be 25 grams of hash???
    :confused::confused:
    Ahhhh just smoked a fresh batch of iso hash, and got thinking[/quote]

With qwiso it isn't really a set quantity you will get... for good quality, that's the rule of thumb... 10-15% return, but since iso is polar it can extract a lot more than just the cannabinoid oils....

You could get like a 30% return of super low quality oil if you soaked it longer hahahhahaha but its much much lower in quality....

But with stems I can still manage a 10% return man.... but its usually stems and shake... not just stems

3. so lets say 500 grams of stems and 100 grams of bud/shake
    and 70% ISO, never find any stronger then that around here,
    15 second wash
    600grams
    10-15%
    so maybe 60-65 grams? should be about right?

4. [quote name='"Connorjbp"']so lets say 500 grams of stems and 100 grams of bud/shake
    and 70% ISO, never find any stronger then that around here,
    15 second wash
    600grams
    10-15%
    so maybe 60-65 grams? should be about right?[/quote]

With 70% your going to pull more polar compounds out, its going to alter the yield..... the bud and shake will yield more, but not a massively different number

5. Gahhh stoner math >.< xD
    i prefer hash over bud, and i just have all my old stems so im using that with the bud/shake i know 70 wont make it as good as the 90 and higher will, but i have no idea where to get them, the local superstores only have 70 or lower, any suggestions?. i know that i will be getting at least 30 or so grams out of the stems/shake/buds im just trying to see if the math is right and if its worth it.

6. [quote name='"Connorjbp"']Gahhh stoner math >.< xD
    i prefer hash over bud, and i just have all my old stems so im using that with the bud/shake i know 70 wont make it as good as the 90 and higher will, but i have no idea where to get them, the local superstores only have 70 or lower, any suggestions?. i know that i will be getting at least 30 or so grams out of the stems/shake/buds im just trying to see if the math is right and if its worth it.[/quote]

I dunno man, where I am 99% is the common iso hahahaha but the math seems right for estimates, you never know with iso, it has to be worked down to a trial and error science

7. not if you soak your shake with pure water and then filter it out... then use alchohol to extract the thc... it will be alot more pure because you already took out the polar compounds.

8. Yup, i did that the other night with some already run through BHO trim

I soaked it till the water was pretty much amber the first time, poured, refilled, water turned dark green, poured, refilled, water turned tea green, again, water was just barely green then i let it dry....

Then i let the shit soak in iso for 15 fucking minutes just to see how much the water pulled out.... it was ridiculous lol

the final oil, if i hadnt done that would have been a horrid tasting, black/green poop

but it was rather a black/golden goop, with a very very smooth flavor, not a hash oil flavor really though, just not a bad harsh flavor

9. okay so let me get this right.
    500 grams stems+ 100 grams of bud/shake
    freeze for 15-30 mins
    soak in hot water for 20 or so mins?
    strain water in another pot? then repeated few times untill water is almost clear green or so.
    then put iso with that water in an mason jar shake and then filter into dish?

10. no, you do not want the water and iso in the same mix....

if you do the water wash on the material, your going to add 24 hours of drying time to the process. The bud needs to be bone dry before you qwiso it after

11. Im confused now >.<,
    Please explain this to me

12. I have the same problem man, no shops near me sell ISO, so I just order mine off Amazon. It's cheap and comes quickly. Might be worth waiting a couple days...?

13. Ok... if you do the water wash, its a separate process from making the oil

You soak the bud in water, pour it out, and repeat until the water isnt mega mega green.... i recommend doing this for second runs, as water wont absorb the trichomes, but it has the potential to knock some off and they could pour out when you pour the water out... but if its been run already the triches arent in a condition to break off....

Then after you do this, you set the bud out on a plate, or baking dish and let it dry, until its bone dry

then you make the qwiso lol

14. Ahh i meant for the second run part
    i want to get as much out of the first run as i can and i always do a second run as back up, but second runs always look/taste gross, so i thought with a second run using a water wash would improve the taste/look?

15. Neither of you live near a pharmacy? Or Wal-Mart for that matter?

16. Lol neither the pharmacies or the nearest wal-mart here have 99%, but the grocery stores all pack 99% so its no issue

I dont get why 99% is so hard to find in some places....

17. My pharmacy don't sell it, they have to order it specially and it takes 2 weeks and is really expensive, amazon takes 2 days and cost 5£...

18. Loads of pharmacy's around here and 2 wal-marts but i havnt found anything higher then 70, even asked the guy behid the counter and he was all we only have the 70%

19. [quote name='"Connorjbp"']

Loads of pharmacy's around here and 2 wal-marts but i havnt found anything higher then 70, even asked the guy behid the counter and he was all we only have the 70%[/quote]

most walgreens sell 91% iso if you have one near you.