Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

ISO hash gone wrong??

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by discrete88, Nov 13, 2012.

1. So I made my first batch of ISO hash the other night. I did everything correctly I thought. I put my trimmings in a mason jar, poured 90% isopropyl alcohol to the top of the trim, shook for 20 mins, strained it, and let it dry for 12+ hrs. When I saw the finished product, it literally looked like I just dirtied a dish. It was mostly a dry rust colored substance, but some was darker and more sticky. I scraped everything out with a razor and got a gram size ball of some black stuff with some rust colored highlights. I was very skeptical about smoking it, but I cut off a piece and put it on my bowl. I got high as shit but my roommate said he didn't really get high off it. Is it even supposed to look like that? Should I be smoking it? Here's a before and after

Attached Files:

2. 20 min, holy chit! I only shake for a good 30-45 seconds, but I use 97%iso, and fan dried in about 3 hrs, neverhad a problem.

3. the whole, 20 minutes thing, fucked you over

4. If all the iso is evaporated its fine to smoke. But leaving it in the iso for 20 minutes probably makes it taste pretty shitty. 30-45 seconds tops, or your gonna extract more plant matter and ruin the taste.

5. not just taste, the quality too

thats probably a huge yield of which a smaller % is cannabinoids compared to normal qwiso

6. It doesn't taste bad at all. I saw some other weird looking ISO hash while browsing around. Anything from antifreeze green to wine Burgundy. It gets me baked anyway. The video I watched on making it said to shake it for 15-20 mins that's why I did that

7. well you may as well have just smoked the plant matter it came from man.

After about a minute or 2 all the "goods" have been extracted and it just begins extracting chlorophyll in large quantities

8. Well, it is technically still a concentrate, and if the alcohol was purged correctly without degrading potency, then it should certainly be much more potent gram for gram, and will definitely have less inert plant matter, than the bud it came from. :eek:

(If smoked properly, your friend really should have been about as buzzed as he would have been from smoking the same content while still on the herb, if not more so. It could be his tolerance is making it tough to tell the difference between sober and high in general, or it could be that concerns over quality, and simple flavor aesthetics, resulted in a 'reverse placebo effect'... for instance, reasonably potent herb that appears to be low quality can potentially create the opposite of a placebo effect, where you don't expect that you're going to catch a buzz, so you either don't get high, or you effectively convince yourself that you haven't).......

But like others have said, washing or soaking for longer than a mere minute or so (which is already considered a 'long' wash!) is a bit counter-productive... a fast wash will result in a lower yield of the most pure and concentrated mix of desirable properties, and so long as you're working with with an appropriately high percent solvent, by the time a minute or to passes you've extracted all the volatile oils and important glandular material, even at lowered temps.

Anything beyond a quick wash causes the potency per gram to diminish rapidly, as the overall 'yield' increases, simply because you are now only pulling in additional chlorophyll, plant waxes, salts, and tough resins. The ratio of active ingredients decreases, as the yield grows and more inert matter enters the mix..

In other words, when you over wash, you get the good stuff almost immediately, then you begin dumping properties on top that do not contribute to the recreational aspects or sensation (for a nice clean product meant for vaping or smoking, you want everything you're working with to be ice cold, and the initial wash should last roughly 15 - 20+/- seconds. You can perform an additional wash, or washes of varying length, to extract the remaining potency.
    I mention 'recreational' specifically a sentence or two ago, because many plant salts, waxes and chlorophyll do have therapeutic or medicinal values when eaten.. so they aren't necessarily a complete waste of space, and can even be beneficial, except when you're going only going for the buzz and a nice clean flavor).

:)