ISO Advice on Indoor Grow

Discussion in 'General' started by MysticalMags, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Alright guys, I need your help. I'm going to start making my 'wishlist' for my 1st (ever) grow. I'll be growing indoors and starting with seeds. I'm looking for suggestions on quite a few things. I want to feel comfortable with my basics before I start. I'll list some things I'm looking for help on and hopefully I'll get lots of replies and can start looking in to the products (and such) you more seasoned growers toss my way!

• Reputable seed banks I can purchase from online. Discretion is my #1 thing, as I reside in a state that only CBD is currently legal. (Any other advice you have to offer here is welcome. I understand the risk and haven't yet decided whether I will go this route or not)
    • Grow Tent (purchased online) or Build my own?
    • Lights? (I know that the stage your plant is in determines the lighting requirements. I feel I'm lost (confused/overwhelmed/intimidated) in the lighting area the most.
    • Fans
    •Filter
    •Soil
    •Transplant and pot size (When she's ready for the dirt what have you had the most success with? Immediately go to where she will be growing for the long haul? Or transplant multiple times increasing pot size until are where you need to be?) I do have concerns about transplant shock, but being my first grow, I have no idea what I'm actually talking about.
    •Nutrients

I think once the replies start to roll in, that will be enough to keep me busy researching specific items for a while.

TIA for all of the help guys (and gals)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Seedbanks- get with @GaryEff - The Vault. Reputable, discreet, awesome customer service. Not to mention their giveaways here. Just ask @JonathanT, he just won their last.

• Like Like x 2
  3. In regards to tent, pots, lights and all, what does your available space look like? That can determine all of the above.

Dont be overwhelmed. Though you WILL have issues on first grow, we all did. You live and learn to grow bigger buds. Dont be scared or embarrassed by issues you may have. We are all here to learn/teach/compare/contrast.

As far as lights, I suggest qb DIY kits. Look up @Tbone Shuffle 's threads on the subject. Best lights for the money, and you wont be looking for better lighting after the first grow. (I've used blurples, hid, and other leds. Nothing compares)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks @@Canibis ! I really appreciate it. While we are on the topic, do you have any suggestions on what I should give a go my first grow?

• Auto? Yes, no, maybe so?
    • Strain? I am partial to enjoying Sativa dom plants. I love the energy. However, that's also what is readily available around here, so I'm considering maybe trying an Indica dom for my grow? If I happen to pull this off (I truly am optimistic; not sarcasm), then I'll have some bedtime buddies.

5. IMO, go with a photoperiod strain to get your feet wet. More room for error, training, and in my experience they are more tolerable to newb tendencies. I started with an auto, an severely regretted it.
    As far as strain, I've had good luck with criminal + from ripper seeds, but it is a indica dom strain. Heavy couch lock.
    20190319_220427.jpg
    Look at the vault, find a cheaper strain to test out. That way you can get 5 seeds or more to try your hand. Leafly has a pretty good site as far as strain info to narrow your search too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Beginners do best in soil as it's the most fool proof.
    For a simple bagged off the shelf that is easy to find FFOF is hard to beat.
    I still use it for starts and vegging.
    upload_2019-3-30_7-33-51.jpeg
    Fox Farms Ocean Forest.
    Grab a bottle of grow big while your shopping.

[​IMG]
    I transplant.
    Start in a 3x3x3 and jump to a 6x6x7 mid veg.
    Start seeds a 1/3rd filled cup as they always stretch at first and you just add more soil.
    If you screw up you have a full cup of soil and a long leggy seedling that wants to fall over and your trying to stake and string the tiny thing and making a mess of it. :) Done that way to many times.

Square pots promote better root branching IME.

Big plants in small pots need watered frequently and that means you can feed them all the more often.
    It also helps prevent the newbee tendency of overwatering.
    Sativa plants tend to be huge with very small harvests for the size of the plants. Not really suitable for an indoor small scale grow.
    Hybrids that lean that way are the best choice for indoors.
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Before I talked myself out of online purchases all together, I snagged just a few random seeds from The Vault. ----> Insert ridiculous, unnecessary worry until they arrive safe and sound
    In the meantime I'll be buried in browser upon browser of light reviews. Screenshot_20190330-112734_Gmail.jpg

8. That triple cheese sounds tasty!

9. I thought so too! And it was free

10. How do I follow People/Businesses on here? If it's pretty obvious, then is there possibly something I haven't done as far as account verification that's keeping me from doing so? Do I need to have some sort of paid subscription?
    I'm also unable to send pm's.

11. The app is great for browsing and quick replies, but I use the site for ease of nav. I think you have to go to their profile page by clicking their av

Never had much luck doing much on the app lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Try to stay away from long flowering sativa photos lol. 16 weeks is ridiculous!

13. Thanks for the mention - we appreciate it ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Just remember me on the next giveaway!
    (Best hype man ever, I will be)
    Screenshot_20190401-162337_Google.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1