Isn't it so sad....

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by alicedee07, Sep 4, 2010.

1. That servers are legally not allowed to refuse to sell alcohol to pregnant women, but at the same time this country tries to control what other drugs we put in our bodies. It's extremely pathetic. Like a hypocrisy once seen in a medieval catholic pope slaughtering innocent non-believers while at the same time praising the word of god, prohibition is nothing but a primitive joke established by a group of people hungering for power. That alone should be the single biggest argument against prohibition.

2. I find that hard to believe, a restaurant or bar can refuse service to anyone.

3. When the majority of the world is comprised of morons, shit like that happens.

4. I was just told by my manager that the only way you can refuse to sell alcohol to someone is if they are overly intoxicated. Legally, that is the only reason you can refuse, and if you refuse to sell to a pregnant woman, she can win a lawsuit if she takes it to court.

5. Your manager was erring on the side of caution. A restaurant or bar can refuse to serve a patron if their behaviour is deemed "belligerent" or to be negatively effecting your business. The bar or restaurant is legally able to use their own discretion as to what behaviour constitutes this. However, as I said earlier, your manager is probably just taking the "safe" stance in requesting you serve all non intoxicated people.

An example of belligerency could be you asking the pregnant woman if she's aware of the health risks associated with drinking while pregnant. If her response is similar to: mind your own damn business; or just serve the drink!! then your establishment is legally able to determine that answer as grounds to refuse service.

But, the real point you're trying to make, that the restrictions on marijuana are ridiculous when compared to the relative freedoms enjoyed by alcohol and tobacco, is quite correct.

6. Leagalization is nearer than any one could imagine....

7. Optimism < Determination. Things only reform because there are people determined on making things reform, rather than being optimistic that our injustices will reform soon enough.

8. #8 PastorOfMuppets, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
    Your manager is an idiot, or more likely, morally bankrupt enough to lie to his employees so they won't refuse to sell booze to pregnant women. Maybe find a job where the manager isn't so greedy he'll endanger unborn children to make a sale.

9. They can refuse to serve anyone they want for any reason. That doesn't mean someone can't try to sue them, but there's no law requiring them to serve anyone in particular.

EDIT: Of course if it's blantant bigotry there are civil remedies in addition to lawsuits.