isn't it ironic???

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by chiefMOJOrisin, Aug 27, 2007.

1. irony

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Irony is a form of speech in which the real meaning is concealed or contradicted by the words used. Irony involves the perception that things are not what they are said to be or what they seem. Dramatic irony lies in the audience's deeper perceptions of a coming fate, which contrast with a character's lack of knowledge about said fate.

irony

we can all read a written definition of irony. we can all understand and realize when irony makes its way into everyday life. but why?? who decided, way back when, that something was ironic?? i know Socrates employed irony... hence socratic irony. however, i doubt that he was the originator. i also know that aristotle created his own definition of irony. but were the ancient greeks the first to tag a certain situation, 'ironic'?

irony is quite a relevent aspect of current life. one very useful example is Steve Irwin. his entire life revolved around capturing/relocating/researching crocs, alligators, snakes and other potentially, and often life threatening organisms. then what ultimatly kills him?? a sting ray.... i believe, only the second ever recorded death from a sting ray.

its ironic that cannabis grows naturally all over the world and has nothing but positive benefits and is illegal... yet alcohol, which is highly detrimental to its users/abusers is extremly legal and ridiculously easy to obtain to those under the legal age.

its ironic that an 18 year old kid can murder and die for a country that won't allow him to drink alcohol until 3 years after his enlistment eligibility. i guess the government thinks an 18 year old is better off with a gun in his hands then a bottle. ironically, the suits who make these regulations enjoy the freedom which those 18 year olds fight and ultimately die for. while their sons are drunk as hell at an ivy league school.

scientific theories about our existance have been around for quite some time. some say all the main ingredients came from comets which crashed down onto early earth, both adding to and mixing the primordial soup. others hypothesize that life begain on an early, water laden, warm mars.

how ironic would it be if that were proved true?? searches for the spark that ignited the fire of life on our own planet... and searches for life on other planets/bodies could, in fact, be swapped. perhaps, the organically rich comets bombarded mars and the resulting primordial soup spawned the earliest and simplest life forms. onward through the early life of the planets... thousands of impacts on both earth and mars throw debris miles and miles into space. eventually, martian debris containing life made its way on down to earth and found ideal conditions for life to thrive for millions of years. while on mars, life diminished to nothing due to changing environments. as the planets ever so slowley eek away from the sun, they become colder. over time, intense radiation and solar wind from the sun all but causes mars' atmosphere to vanish... eventually evaporating its greatest source for a habitat and almost completley wiping out all water on the red planet.

the search for extra-terrestrial life could bring us to a very terrestrial mirror. and the questions regarding the causes/beginning of life on earth could wind up being answered without even ebing on earth.

irony is.............