Isn't it convenient?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by travilanche, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Does anyone else besides me think it is tremendously convenient that people are born into families that believe that their religion is the only true religion? And all other religions besides yours are wrong. I don't understand how people can not see how utterly convenient this is and continue to support the religion they are born into.

Any thoughts?

This goes for all religions.

2. It's not that they can't see how convenient it is, it's that they have no reason to doubt why their family believes what they do. They're brought up to believe it, so it forms part of their belief system from the get go. Indoctrination is a powerful thing.

3. my family was never very believable?

i always thought it was obvious they didnt have a clue.....?

4. One man's obvious is another man's hidden.

5. One of the many things that drove me to atheism. My religion was my parents religion, and their religion was their parents religion and so on.

6. I consider myself a Christian but there are some things that I am doubtful of so some people may call me a non believer or something or other

7. Especially child indoctrination, gotta get them before they develop critical thinking

8. It's called indoctrination, and it's the last thing I would ever call "convenient." In fact, I consider it abuse and I'd like it to stop. You can raise a child like a pet, and it reflects in their development. So, easily, we can raise true believers. Foot soldiers for manipulators to use trying to indoctrinate others. People imposing their religion on children is only helping to produce more people who will impose their religion on children. We need less such people, so very inconvenient.

9. What he said. ^^

10. Yep, except unfortunately it won't change, can't, ever, not as long as there are parents who believe certain things about themselves and life, and children who look up to them.

Indoctrination is not just religion fuelled, it comes in many flavours, as your link reveals. But even the best intentioned, most enlightened parents, still do this in one form or another. It might not be as bad, or they might catch themselves behaving as their parents did to them far sooner, but it must still take place on some level. It's so subconscious and insidious, that sometimes all it takes is a look, a word, a moment that creates doubt, to change the mind of a child. Parenting is not easy.

11. Perhaps this is so, because one is discouraged from learning about other religious traditions and finding the underlying goal and similarities that all (or most) share? This has been my belief, at least.

12. At first, I was going to say "amen to that." Then I realized that it's actually quite easy because so much of it is out of our control. All we have to do is love and support them and teach them through our own actions as much as possible (kids watch more than listen). The rest is really up to them, as it should be.

13. Perfect place to put this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5uptYHsrEs[/ame]