Islam

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ReefSerchi, Dec 29, 2011.

1. #1 ReefSerchi, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    Hello my fellow stoners, I'm here to let you understand what Islam is really about!

I've been raised in a christian society through out most my life, i believed that there is really a god, but i didn't understand-stand why Jesus was son of god and that you needed to pray to him. I was very lost doing drugs, drinking alcohol and being very depressed.

When I went to Turkey this summer to visit my relatives, they invited me to a very big mosque, i was a little shy to go but i went! When i was walking in, i heard this breathtaking prayer, it was the call to prayer.

It was being said in Arabic, Even though i only speak English. It felt that my heart understood it.

I was very close to weeping tears. I was taken away.

I walk in there and i sit down on the rug, i still hear the man preaching in Arabic, i was very lost. I felt like a feel i was in love for the first time.

I come back to the U.S. a month later.

I really wondered what happened back there.

I looked and researched about Islam. I found it actually to be very peaceful and there is a lot of meditation involved.

Islam has guided me in a straight path. Everyday i walk outside my house, I don't feel like I don't know where i am going to be at the end of my day. I Feel as if I am on a great adventure.

My life has been very pleasurable now that Islam is in my life.

So I wanted to put this out there in the world, that there is hope, i want to bring it to you that life is amazing thing.

Weed is also something that can relate to Islam, When i use cannabis, i feel very understand of my relgion and feel closer to god (allah).

So please if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

2. Congrats on finding your Way...:smoke:

I know there used to be a big thread on Islam up in here...'Islam, can you dig it'...havent seen it for awhile, but it used to always be on the first pg...

Being moved to tears when relating to God/Allah/All/It means That is working in you...That feeling has been (in the past) a major draw in realizing there is the One Spirit for me.

Welcome to GC :smoke:

3. Awesome. I'm glad Islam works for you. Even though I was raised a Jew, it took a very radical spontaneous mystical experience to actually connect me with Judaism, and this was entirely aural, much like your experience with the Call to Prayer. Welcome to the City.

Just be on your toes around here, though. There are a lot of anti-Islam folk on this forum, and they never hesitate to speak their mind with no regard for who you are as a Muslim or how you don't measure up to their view that all Muslims are fundamentalists.

4. #4 SpaceGuru, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
    Congrats man, I'm happy for you. Though I haven't read much, I have a Quran on my shelf, perhaps mainly for kicks when people notice it. Some have picked it up with interest before, but so many more were like 'wtf,' hahah. The media has done one hell of a job at creating prevalent misconceptions about Islam.

A part I have read that appealed to me was somewhere in the back. *goes to find Quran* Ah, here it is, called 'Loss and Gain'. One part reads, "Those who guard themselves against their own greed will surely prosper."

It seems that there's a lot of focus on Judgement day. Now, I tend to read the gospels and by other religious works interpreting hell to be the darker states you'll be in from doing wrong or thirsting after some pleasures, and heaven as the opposite, desire-less, neutrality. I know I'm far from in alone doing that, so how do you guys read 'Judgement Day' or 'The Inevitable Hour'?

5. It is WRONG, that the people like the Taliban etc. Use Islam for their political problems. Islam i no way in hurting people, blowing up innocent lives. When people ask me about these people, i ask "do you think our prophets would have done that? Jesus, Moses or Mohammed? (peace and blessing upon them). It is a beautiful part of your life to have God.

When i smoke up with my friends i would always pray before smoking, they giggle a bit but i am always thankful for the smallest things in life haha.

6. What exactly is it about Islam that struck you? The emotionally charged experience in the mosque? Or is there some underlying truth that struck your soul with conviction?

7. Everything. I say now, Islam is my way of life, and Allah is my savior. People need to understand that you must do things for God, in order to gain success.

As some people know, Muslims pray 5 times a day. Starting at 6 am (where i currently live)

when i hear my cellphone alarm set off the call to prayer, i would tell myself "Allah want me to get up and worship".

That leads to a better morning of course! You become more awake, don't miss out on what you are supposed to do in the morning. All because what you have done for god.

When I am going through the day, ACTUALLY when all of us are going through the day, we of course don't feel like doing somethings. As if working at our jobs! All i just do is tell myself "I am doing this for god and myself, so i may have a brighter day".

8. "Everything" is very ambiguous. I have a passion for understanding world religion and this doesn't help me in the least bit. Now, if Allah is your savior, why must you do things for him? As if you are legally bound to him.

So the rituals make you feel secure, is this what you are saying?

I find it very profitable to "do things" for other people or my Lord, so I understand that which you have stated here.

edit; Also, please don't interpret my posts as combative. I re-read them and I sound a bit defensive which is not my motive here. I just want to have a deeper understanding of Islam in it's truest essence.

9. I'm not a muslim but i tried to be for like 4 days after I was learning about it and i read a little bit of the koran and it seemed like the right one BUT

I just couldn't deal with the heaven and hell and judging part. it doesn't make sense to me. that and the rest of the illogical things i see with the idea of a god. Im not much of a theist.

but for sure man, islam is very chill. I'm glad you found the right place for you
    peace brother :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Al-salaamu 'alaikum and congratulations on finding peace.

I am also a Muslim.

I consider myself Sufi, but I haven't committed to any of the orders yet as I'm still searching.

11. As a secular Jew, the overwhelming feeling I have for those who truly know the meaning of Islam is . . . brother.

12. I am happy for you, Peace be with you brother.

13. I think we need more muslim/ islam threads in here. I know they're here! For the Ramadan thread they came out of nowhere and posted like crazy, it was a great thread :)

I always enjoy talking to a member of a non-christian abrahamic religion.(i talk to christians all the time, it's america.)

Come back and make some threads! All we ever hear about these days is atheism, random spirituality (which is often awesome), and Jesus.

sorry for the somewhat unrelated post :eek:

14. Many fingers point to the same moon! I personally love Jesus and accept him as my lord and savior while learning from the truths found in other religious texts, and it's sad how anti-Christian a lot of "Christians" happen to be. Corruption shouldn't get in the way of compassion!

15. Salaam! Carry on brother. Stand proudly by your way of life and join with those who do good that you too may receive blessings from those intentions and full reward for doing it.

16. How can any one be the right one, you read some muslim teachings and looked at their viewpoints and practices with an open eye. IMO doing this is much more beneficial than finding the right one. (Your searching is exactly what you need because it is what you have done) As long as you believe and strive to become better person throughout your time here then all is well.

Learn from the life experiences you gain nothing is more valuable.

Im not trying to be combative and actually very much like your post

17. We pray to the same historic God, what is there to ask? :smoke:

18. well, good point. I meant "right one" as in the religion most suitable to me. But I think looking at things plainly is really important. I kinda steal aspects of all religions in my spirituality, and i believe , like someone else said, "many fingers point to the same moon"

Attached Files:

19. i have asked the Christians opinion on this several times...they always ignore me....

what do you(followers of islam) think of this

Read more: Transcendent Experience

20. the people of the one "historic" god, all in various ways, would have all mankind succumb to the power of those who believe in what cannot be proved. Any other belief is what? gee great, and what has man accomplished with his great faith and knowledge ? how about murder an a grand scale, I sure want more of that!