Ishmael. Endgame. Society is not sustainable.

Discussion in 'General' started by prodigybeats, Aug 31, 2011.

1. #1 prodigybeats, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
    So I've been reading a lot of this ecological/anthropological theory stuff and it has blown my mind.

Ishmael - a book about a gorilla who has been trained to communicate telephathically and he posts an ad that reads "teacher seeks pupil. must have an earnest desire to save the world." and shit is just bananas from there. he basically convinced me that we are a blip in the spectrum of time and that we are not an infinite society.

We are unsustainable because we have chosen to take the decision of who lives and who dies into our own hands. It started with agriculture and moves on. Our population, starving people, poverty,...it's all related to the fact that we have taken the power of "the gods(as the book puts it)" into our own hands. NOTE: the book has no religious affiliation, i think the gods is placed there more as the powers that be, than an actual god.

I am also reading a book now called endgame. It's based on how the needs of our world are much more important than the needs of the economic system. I highly reccomend looking into this stuff if you are interested in jumping down the rabbit hole. It makes me view things so much differently. We are consumers. It's quite a funny thing. Preprogrammed.

EDIT/This actually makes the study of business and things seem very pointless. If we are going to use up all the food supply, kill every other living thing on the planet, industrialize the entire earth, and potentially blow it up, it seems that there is only one huge problem that everyone is ignoring.

I'm baked.

2. Ishmael was a really interesting book, and one of the few that have changed the way I look at the world. I haven't heard of Endgame before, but I think I'll look into it now.

3. The first 10 pages of Endgame were more mindblowing than Ishmael in its entirety, IMO. Definitely reccomended. There are two volumes.