Is your ego dead?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by The Audion, Jun 26, 2012.

1. What are your feelings on ego death? Have you experienced it? Was it good or bad?

2. It all depends on how it happens. It is in my experience just a very neutral thing. People talk about it being some amazing feeling but I don't see it. Maybe I didn't do it "right" or there were problems with my methods (which I won't post).

3. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBVbjpZhxPw]Beach Boys - Hang On To Your Ego (edit) - YouTube[/ame]

I just wanted to listen to this. My ego only dies temporarily.

4. Egos dead, society's still got a bone to pik tho

5. My ego isn't dead. It just hibernates, and comes out when needed.

6. Only for a little while.

Personally,I like it,it's like an understanding of the roll you play in the universe and really how insignificant you are.

Now some people might think that's crazy of me to actually like that,but to me,it means that not only me but everyone else is on the same level.

So just because someone may have more money,power,women,friends,material possessions,it doesn't necessarily mean they are better than anyone else or that they are even truly happy.

Most people live in an illusion that they are truly happy and completely pass up the truly important things in life.

7. Ego is there for a reason, it is there to protect your mind. If you cannot accept humanity with all it's downsides the feeling will be pretty unpleasant I imagine but if you do you will feel a lot more free.

8. I agree, loosing your ego is a lot to take in at once. Once you get comfortable you can dive a little deeper and so fourth. It's been keeping life exciting for me.

9. It's like being able to recognize the more important things in life enlighten you as a human being and you strive to better yourself in lieu of the other superficial individuals.

10. I think it would be very beneficial since it would help me not care what other people think about me.

11. During my strongest shroom trips, of which there haven't been too many, I tend to feel connected to the universe, to everyone, to all you guys and everyone else. I am less a differentiation, an individual, and more part of the cosmic whole.

I don't know if that's ego death, but it's not at all an unpleasant experience. It's like imagining that your mind is the nucleus of the universe.:D

12. A sad story about that is what happened to professional skateboarder Gator.

13. Let's please try to have this conversation with mentioning other drugs. They're not the only way, albeit the most common way, to achieve ego death.

14. Well they're probably the easiest; for me it costs about 16 dollars for the material.

15. I would like to believe I have a healthy dose of ego. I used to be extremely shallow and petty..and it was upon that realization leading up to my ego death experience that healed me of my self-inflicted mental illnesses. Ego death accelerated my maturity, and I always take into account now that just like me, everyone is worthy of mistakes. No one is perfect. And that my expectations was only attributing to my madness, so I stopped giving a fuck about the trivialities of life. I've been content ever since.

16. #16 The Audion, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
    Isn't knowing about ego death enough to kind of, see past your ego?

I don't know, I guess its something you can't explain or understand until it happens to you.

The reason I want to experience ego death is because, like I said above. I care too much what people think of. I worry too much about silly things, like things about my body I don't like. And even though I know they're fine and I know one thinks about them as much as me, I still worry.

There are probably other ways to go about it though, while keeping my ego intact.

17. I saw my ego making a run for it last night, so I had to run it down
    I said where do you think I'm going, am I just your stupid clown?
    My ego said it really loves me and it thinks I deserve the best
    But my ego was dying, it left me there standing, with tears running down my chest...my ego's gone, my ego's gone...my ego's gone away...

-Blues in the key of low Ego-

18. Try meditation or a simple trial of dissociatives. They both worked for me.

19. Ego death only lasts a few days for me then I forget and become a dick again.

20. "I couldn’t live with myself any longer. And in this a question arose without an answer: who is the ‘I’ that cannot live with the self? What is the self? I felt drawn into a void. I didn’t know at the time that what really happened was the mind-made self, with its heaviness, its problems, that lives between the unsatisfying past and the fearful future, collapsed. It dissolved."

- Tolle