Is yoga instruction religious? San Diego court case may decide

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hello there!, Jun 28, 2013.

1. #1 Hello there!, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/is-yoga-instruction-religious-san-diego-court-case-may-decide/2013/06/24/e7567f9c-dd0c-11e2-a484-7b7f79cd66a1_story.html/

I actually laughed at the statement by Peck. It's so true. Seriously, though? Yoga at its core is about physical and mental stability and clarity.. it's one of the best ways to stay fit and limber. The administration was even willing to compromise by keeping it purely physical and removing any religious parts of the practice.

2. #2 MrCrispy109, Jun 28, 2013
    It's so difficult to believe some people are this stupid yet able to function in the real world. It never ceases to amaze me.

3. Seriously...

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Yoga is a religious concept. It's one of the 6 schools of orthodox Hinduism. The physical postures that people commonly know about in the West is called Hatha Yoga. Yoga means "to unite". It's the method for unifying soul with Spirit. With that being said though, the term has been distorted from the Hindu meaning, and is generally known as simply a set of physical exercises made to keep people healthy. It's definitely a very good thing for children to learn. The type of thing being taught in that school is only concerned with physical health, so I wouldn't call it religious at all, and I wouldn't say it violates the First Amendment.

5. if the religion was christiananity, i wonder if the parents would react differently? 

here in the bible belt, there is a remarkable intolerance of other relgions other than christiananity.

6. #6 kayakush, Jun 28, 2013
    yoga is a lifestyle, a form of dance/execrise/breathing.....but it does deal with the soul

7. Better get rid of gym class too, there is stretching there that might lead to unifying the soul.

8. Its about as religious as halloween. Also what kid in their right mind would actually look forward to yoga as the high point of their day?

9. Also, my elementary school had karate.

10. Jesus Christ, are there not more important problems in our society for citizens to raise hell about than motherfucking yoga?  How about the starving homeless, the drug addicts on every other street corner, and the sheer lack of respect for the Constitution that has been shown by the govt. for years now?  And they're worried about their kids learning yoga.  This world really depresses me sometimes.

Yeah but Yoga directly affects them, the other issues don't. Apply the law of relativity and you see that learning yoga = real, and bigger issues =/= real.

12. You hit the nail on the head.

This is why a second american revolution hasnt happened.

Most of us know its in the shitter, but people arent starving or being rounded up yet.

The wont care about the storm till after it blows their house down

13. #13 garrison68, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
    I don't think that there's "starving homeless, and drug addicts on every other street corner", in the area this school is in - in fact they're quite well off.  From the OP article:

14. Exactly. The starving people arent important if your not exposed to them

15. If they want to teach physical yoga, I dont' see much wrong with it - as long as they leave out the swamis and religion associated with much of it.  

16. #16 Scribbles510, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
    Fucking rich people...

They couldn't really even afford a PE class at my school, and these people wanna bitch about a yoga program?

... could lead to profitable children

:smoking: :D

18. If yoga religious, then so was drinking wine.

I suppose the next thing you'll tell me is that you can't do that at school either

Dont worry, that is safe as long as the TSA doesnt get involved in school systems

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. since when have schools cared about religious activities in class? most american schools make their entire student body stand up every single morning and pledge allegiance to their flag in unison. i can't think of a more religious activity than that.