Is Xray Techician a good career choice.

Discussion in 'General' started by Antonacci44, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Hey guys, I am an 18 year old about to graduate from highschool. I have been pretty indecisive about what I want to go to school for when I graduate. I have been thinking of being an X-ray Technician lately. I just want to make sure that it is a good choice. My main concern is demand. I am really worried about going to school and not being able to get a job after. Does anyone have any opinions about this career?

2. I went to mri school for a bit but stopped for financial reasons

Im looking to go back though because the money for that job is worth it

3. The demand for radiology techs varies according to the area you're in. Where I'm located, the market is flooded with them, so pay is lower, and full time positions are harder to get a hold of. Research online how the market is for them in your area. Ask people in the field about their experiences getting into it. If the demand is too low, and you're willing to move, you could find other areas with higher demand for them. From what I've been told, you'll have a lot easier time in the west vs the east (assuming you're in the US).

I've never worked in that job, so I can't tell you about it personally. But the pay is typically pretty decent from what I understand. And like many jobs in the medical field, demand is rising with population size and average age.

4. Wanted to become a Rad tech but I can't do BE(barium aneama) or however you spell. Anyways, I can't be shoving tubes up people buttholes just to watch them shit it out into the Barbie pool. Even though I think it would be awesome to work in a hospital wear marijuana is given as medication.

Comfortably Dumb

5. My roommate is a xray tech and he makes good money. He did really well in school and got into one of the good hospitals in the area. At first they screwed with him on hrs and going only Pt time but now he's full time. I say go for it but like any job in the field you will have to pass a drug test and could lose your license if you ever get busted. If you have any specific questions you want me to ask him I will. Also, he went to community college, graduated on time and has zero debt. Doing good in my opinion.

6. ganja farmer sounds better to me.

7. It's not bad.

Have a friend who's been doing that for a while.

8. #8 HiddenReality, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    Depends on where you are, surely...X-ray tech is going to make more at Duke Medical Center in the Research Triangle than Willie Ray Urgent Care in Ward, Arkansas. Make top marks in class and network properly, I'm sure you can do very well in that field.