Is Withholding Information the Same as Lying?

Discussion in 'General' started by Perpetual Burn, Nov 26, 2008.

1. If you are trying to get some information out of someone, but they do not tell you the full story, is that basically lying? Can you be honest with someone and hold back information at the same time? Does it make a difference if they are open about the fact that they aren't telling you the whole truth?

Does it make a difference if they are an "authority figure," government, police, etc. ? Could you trust someone who is openly withholding information from you?

2. If it is the case that it's lying, then all of our authority figures lie. All the so called "experts" lie. People with hold information to get the leg up on someone else. Take real estate agents for example..

3. If someone asks me about something I know and I am not supposed to tell them I usually play stupid by saying "yeah I don't know". That's probably lying but oh well.

4. it depends on how crucial the information that is withheld is;

if the information goes against what they are saying, then it is lying
    if the information could add to what they are saying, then it is with holding

personally, i think both are bad
    but with holding information can be helpful to both parties
    when the information is of a hurtful matter

:smoke:

5. Yeah, I suppose white lies aren't so bad...

I'm with you, I don't necessarily find withholding information to be unacceptable or evil... but it's still not very honest. Which I find to be beneficial to healthy relationships.

Could those of you kind enough to reply shed some light on this question?

6. i think it depends on why they are withholding the information
    be it to help them? or to protect you?

it also depends on the severity of the withheld information

to answer you question though
    yes i think that i could
    somethings are better left unsaid

ask yourself this;
    if you found out what you want to hear,
    would it hurt or help you more?

words can greatly hurt relationships sometimes

7. Not fully. You are still telling some truth, you just change it to conform to a certain belief

8. Lying=saying something that isnt true

So if you hold back you aren't lying because you're not saying something untruthful.

9. If the detail left out are enough to change the shape of what is being said, or to make somebody see it in a different light, than yes it is lying.

But if for the most part, its true, and information is being withhelf for say, security reasons, than it is the truth, with some missing factors.

Remember what they say, the best lies are the ones with the most truth.

10. I don't think so, heres a shitty example...

Cop: "What kind of car was it son?"
    Me: "It was a red car"
    Cop: "That's all you can tell us?"
    Me: "Yes"

I'm not necessarily lying, but say I knew the car was a Red 2003 Ford Mustang GT with white stripes. I just withheld a little bit of information.

Withheld info, but didn't lie.

11. Semantics.

They are the same and only distinguished by the intentions and motivations behind the act.

12. any intentional misrepresentation of the truth is fraud. so that means yes. But take the intentional and it's not. so if someone said "tell me what happened last night" and you explain what you did the night before and leave something out that's not lying.

13. Yes, withholding necessary info when they're talking to you is clearly deceptive and in fact, lying. Not telling the whole truth is obviously not the truth.. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Oh yea, and in a court of law,, If you remain silent, you are saying you're guilty. Keep that in mind if you ever find yourself in a court of law.

14. yeah, it's called a lie of omission.
    Also, not talking during a trial doesn't indicate guilt. I.e. Taking the fifth.

15. No it isn't. I dont see any problem with lying anyway as long as nobody is hurt by it. And i dont see why i should tell somebody everything i know about a subject just becauser they ask me. My buisness is my buisness, nobody elses, they should find out for theirselves.

16. Maybe I shoulda clarified..... A judge, or a prosecutor asks you a question when you're on the stand and you remain silent. You are indeed pleading guilty.

I am 100% positive this is KS state law... I couldn't tell you about anywhere else.

17. i'd plea the 5'th ammendment,,,,,,and say nothing...

and with a shit-eating smile look at the cop and say...

;; your a investigator right?

well start investigating,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because i have nothing to tell you....:cool:

18. #18 TheDudeAbides, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2008
    You have a constitutional right not to self incriminate, so if you feel like you may get yourself into trouble, you can do what's called "Taking the fifth", which means invoking the fifth amendment in order to avoid getting yourself in a world of shit.

19. no
    because: lying you are giving false information
    where as when you withhold info, what you say is true, but you don't say everything

20. so i agree about the 5th amendment stuff but if you're subpoenaed and you refuse to testify you can be arrested for being in contempt of court or something. right?