Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is weed really harmful with anxiety?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by zflow, May 27, 2015.

1. I just don't know.
    I don't smoke very much, like twice a month, but i feel anxious about it.
    While smoking everything is ok and i love it, but before toking i always fear that weed can induce me schizophrenia or mental illnesses, that's because i got a little derealised one day, but i handled it very well. 
    Has someone been in my same situation? Is there anything to worry about?

2. You're losing it man, next thing you know you'll be wearing a tinfoil helmet waiting for the mothership to come get you from your bomb shelter.

But yea thc can induce paranoia and anxiety. If that answers your question.

3. #3 Stoned Newbie, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
    I don't think that there is a serious study that says that schizophrenia is induced by weed. It can be induced from a traumatic experience or genetics tough.

If you're lucky granny storm crow is going to answer your questions with some real information and studies to back it up ;)

4. #4 zflow, May 27, 2015
    I hope so... I don't know if smoking can make my anxiety really worse to other illnesses, even if i smoke a little. Obviously, these are only some curiosities, I don't have such a big problem with anxiety, i just like to ask to know better this strange topic. 

5. I ate a massive amount of unmentionables once.  I don't worry about anxiety from weed anymore.

6. #6 Storm Crow, May 27, 2015
    If cannabis caused schizophrenia-how many cannabis users may need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia? England and Wales calculations.         (abst - 2009)    (NNP = Number Needed to Prevent one case of schizophrenia)
    http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/ebm/record/19832786/full_citation/If_cannabis_caused_schizophrenia_how_many_cannabis_users_may_need_to_be_prevented_in_order_to_prevent_one_case_of_schizophrenia_England_and_Wales_calculations_

“In men the annual mean NNP for heavy cannabis and schizophrenia ranged from 2800 in those aged 20-24 years to 4700 in those aged 35-39. In women, mean NNP for heavy cannabis use and schizophrenia ranged from 5470 in those aged 25-29 to 10 870 in 35-39-year-olds. Equivalent mean NNP for heavy cannabis use and psychosis were lower, from 1360 in men aged 20-24 and 2480 in women aged 16-19. The mean and median number of light cannabis users that would need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia or psychosis per year are four to five times greater than among heavy users.”

So IF cannabis caused schizophrenia (which is questionable) you would need to prevent between 1360 and 10,870 people (depending on age, sex and level of use) from using cannabis to prevent ONE case of schizophrenia! [​IMG]  And look what these recent studies say-

A controlled family study of cannabis users with and without psychosis.      (full – 2014)  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4319545/  

"The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself." 

Alcohol confounds relationship between cannabis misuse and psychosis conversion in a high-risk sample.  (abst – 2015) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25572323

“Non-impairing cannabis use was not related to psychosis."

So unless there is a family history of psychosis, you have very little to worry about. [​IMG]  Even in the worst case -  the odds are 1360 to 1! Also, if the two were actually linked, a rise in one would result in a rise in the other.

"Assessing the impact of cannabis use on trends in diagnosed schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005" (PubMed), where "Between 1996 and 2005 the incidence and prevalence of schizophrenia and psychoses were either stable or declining."

The rate of cannabis use was NOT "stable or declining" during 1996 and 2005. Cannabis use has risen virtually every year since the 1960s!

If you STILL worry, use cannabis that has CBD in it!

Action of cannabidiol on the anxiety and other effects produced by delta 9-THC in normal subjects.          (abst – 1982)        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6285406

"It was verified that CBD blocks the anxiety provoked by delta 9-THC".  

Hon, your fears are all based in one thing, ignorance about cannabis. I have the cure for that! [​IMG]   Just PM me your email address, or check the bottom of my sig for mine. I will send you back a copy of the 2015 "Granny Storm Crow's List" which is filled with studies and articles like those above, about what cannabis can do for you, besides get you pleasantly high!   [​IMG]

Hope that helps!

Granny

7. The phrase "it's all in your head" should be your mantra if you get lost in thoughts. Not all people are emotionally and logically sound. The world we live in has more stressors in the environment than ever before in recorded history. Coping with that alone would make a sane person question existence without drugs.

8. Get indica yeah that medical marijuana you feel me, get healed heal that head heal that mind get healed man

9. I guess i need to study more about cannabis.
    Thank you very much guys!

10. for sativa yes. for indica, no it's great

11. Tbh every time I smoke I faintly hear the voices of my parents arguing in the other room. Every time I look to see if it's happening no one is ever there and all the lights are off.
    Sometimes I hear the voices too when I'm not high too but I just always ignore it cause I know it's not happening.
    You just have to ignore it, not care, and not let it ruin your high.

12. My friend has this problem, but he wants to smoke if he smoked high grade indica will he be ok?

13. Just take it very slow! Many of the bad reactions to cannabis are due to a novice just getting too darn high, much too fast, and freaking out!  [​IMG]

Have him take a single puff, then wait! Play a video game, or watch a movie or some sports, for 15 minutes or half an hour, then let him have another puff, and wait again. By slowly raising his high level, he has time to adjust to it.  The distraction  (movie/game/sports) also helps to keep him from over-thinking the experience! If he says "Enough." don't press him to take one more puff. A bad experience could turn him off to cannabis forever. 

If you are in a legal state, tell the budtender you want a strain with roughly a 50/50 mix of THC and CBD. You will likely find it weak, but your friend should find it to be just fine.

If you are buying on the black market, indica is your best bet for some CBD. You don't need a "top of the line", "knock you on your ass", indica!  Here's why- THC and CBD both come from the same compound. The plants that are highest in THC, are also the lowest in CBD. So that "2nd rate", slightly cheaper indica from your dealer, might be a better choice this time (as long as it is otherwise OK).

Granny