Is weed physically harmful??

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Parablue, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Is inhaling burning air and ash into your lungs harmful? Probably. But that's why we have a million different ways other than smoking to ingest this fabulous plant! But, for now, I'm going to enjoy my bong.

2. #22 extensive, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
    @ OP.

I like the post. I might try and get my dad to read it.. Been telling people all this but no one beleives :/

And I like the second to last one about it being more potent today.

Now that I like about it, it makes sense. If weed only contained 1% of THC back then, why would people smoke it? Why would it get popular? Im sure there are hundreds or psycoactive plants out there that have so little effect that no one smokes. Hell, I bet pine needle's could "fuck" you up if you smoked enough...

The only harmful effect of weed that is true is that it reduces lung capacity. Since the world's population of Athlete's is like .00001& and theyre being watched by the community, forced not to do drugs, I guess that harmful effect doesnt really matter.

Someone should mass-mail this to like every republican congress douche-bag out there. Seriously, they keep it illegal when other things can harm you more. If my info is right, the first 'negative' shot at weed was when some ruler thought it was 'poor man's' smoke. Fucking fat ass politicians.
    Go weed!

3. Great post man!

Nerds4life! heh :hello:

4. #24 school, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
    :smoking:

anything taken too much is harmful.

if MJ is harmful then why smoking cigarettes is not?

is it because these tobacco companies are heavily taxed?

5. I'm not sure if this was already said but we con now completely rult out marijuana as a cause for cancer. Dr. Donald Tashkin performed the largest study of its kind in 2005, funded by the University of California's Center for Medical Cannabis research, performed in his UCLA lab. He used over 2,000 patients who were asked to give extensive information abou their past marijuana and tobacco use. Dr. Tashkin hypthesized that higher doses and more prolonged use of marijuana would lead to a higher risk of lung cancer. Contrary to what he hopethesized, Dr. Tashkin stated "We did not observe a positive association of MJ use -- even heavy long-term use -- with lung cancer, controlling for tobacco smoking and other potential confounders."

He also stated in 2006
    "[The new findings] were against our expectations.
    We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use. What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Interesting how at school i was told it does cause lung cancer...

6. Take her to pubmed.com instead and show her clinical studies, absolutely no bias, only facts.

7. That amotivational syndrome is also known as an indica stone, smoke sativa and you will feel social and energized.

8. According to the drug czar when speaking to the Police Chiefs Association this spring,the only scientifically proven harm from marijuana is that it could cause a dependence.
    A "dependence" is not being able to start your day without a cup of coffee.
    After 40 years of searching for the smoking gun(no pun intended) in harm studies,this is the worst that NIDA can come up with. The NIDA has now all but quit searching for harm
    in organic marijuana and now search for harm in the chemical compounds found in Marijuana by injecting it into baby mouse brains,which is bogus science. If you break down water to its chemical compounds,you get hydrogen and oxygen. While I doubt shooting oxygen into a mouse brain could be good for the mouse,I know shooting hydrogen into his brain would probably change more than his mind.

9. Wtf

I thought this thread was about spongebob.

10. I'd love to see any actual study directly where they say MJ is safe during pregnacy. That's the one thing I worry about with weed. Having to quit during pregnacy when (if it is indeed safe) I'm sure a few occasion tokes would with morning sickness and moodiness (hey, works with PMS for me. I'm a bitch before I get high) but this is the one thing I'm not willing to take chances on. A lot of substances which are normally safe are not good for the baby during pregnacy. For example sushi and caffiene.

If it does effect birth weight, that might be a good thing. My family's babies are born HUGE. I was 10 lbs 6 oz. My sister was heavier. Oh no! I toked up, now my baby is 9lbs instead of 10! DOOM! jk...

I'd love to see cold hard science to support this, because when I get pregnant it's not worth the risk to believe something without proof. But I don't plan on having kids for probably 4 or 5 years so not rushed to figure it. Hey, maybe by then there will be even more info if it's legalized in my home state.

11. weed is not physically harmful. i blaze so much and i still feel physically great. as opposed to when i do opiates, and feel shitty after i come down. weed is so chill dude.

12. that's exactly what my sister did :smoking::laughing:

13. Dear Sarah:

This is what I have found out so far (or at least the websites for your own research) however, it is very difficult to separate "information" from "disinformation." Also, I don't think we will be seeing MJ legalized in the US in the very near future, as the weakness, corruption and greed of our so-called elected officials will pretty much guarantee the most medicinal plant in recorded history will remain illegal for as long as the population will stand for it. That being said, here are some sites that delve into the subject. Whether or not the clinical data supports the various conclusions or not, I have no clue.

I would like to add that SMOKING "anything" is harmful to lung tissue and the alveoli in the lungs, thereby decreasing the full flow of oxygen into the blood stream. As a medical MJ patient, I much prefer making edibles from the leaves, stalks, and sometimes bud to smoking it. It is much easier to standardize oils, juices and butters,so that the beneficial aspects of the full spectrum of the plant's medicinal effects can be controlled.

Anyway here are the sites:

Is it safe to smoke marijuana during pregnancy? | BabyCenter

Myths and Facts About Marijuana

Fred Gardner: More Suppression of Marijuana Research

Marijuana Use Causes Early Pregnancy Failure

NIDA - Publications - Marijuana: Facts for Teens

The Medical 'Benefits' of Smoking Marijuana (Cannabis): a Review of the Current Scientific Literature (scroll down page)

The search terms I used were as follows: pregnancy, marijuana, clinical research. This came up with 63 sites, the majority of which seem to point toward the negative, however...you have to make up your own mind.

I hope this was of some help to you.

Vin :wave:

14. Thanks Vintendo56, It's really hard to find sources of information about MJ that are unbiased. I really liked the second link.

Screw morning sickness! Light up instead lol.

15. I can think of two things even more harmful that cigarettes.
    Preservatives in food, and flame retardants.
    That shits dangerous, tvs get hot and vaporize the flame retardants causing mental retardation in developing fetuses. but are they illegal? no, there required by law to be on pretty much everything (including cigarette papers.)

16. I am not a doctor,scientist or even a lab tech,but it would seem to me that after 40 years of searching for harm in marijuana by NIDA,and only finding negligible harm,that if the government had any kind of evidence of actual harm by marijuana they would be blathering about it,loudly.

The lack of scientific proof of harm speaks even more loudly than all their propaganda.