Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is weed actually helping me with mental illness?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by char-9420, Jan 30, 2014.

1. I've got Major depressive disorder with anxiety, since I've been toking regularly I've been generally happier, and been able to get off - highly addictive - sleeping pills, and halve the dosage of my anti-depressants. I had minor psychosis when I was younger, but haven't seen any of that return. I firmly believe that weed is helping me to become mentally healthy :)

I told my psychiatrist about my cannabis use, he wasn't impressed about daily use, but a few times a week was alright with him. He had no actual data to back up his hesitence about daily use though.

2. I say you should smoke, but learn what you are smoking, indicas and sativas have different therapeutic properties as do a lot of different strains. indicas are better for anxiety. weed is definitely a medicine its actually a better medicine then most of the pills you where probably on. I was on 2 2g long lasting Xanax a day most days I took at least 3. I was also on so much more the list is to long but I stopped taking all of it and aside from the withdrawals now I am a new person I smoke everyday and I am always researching the medical properties of weed. weed saved my life and I'm trying to let people know how it can help them as well.  

docters never want to hear that a drug that they cant proscribe is helping you. there is no money in prescription weed the docters want your money. they don't want to lose you as a patient.    

3. I don't care what man says.  It was on this planet long before we were and is a part of this earth.  It was made immoral by man, not by the planet.

That being said, I was going through a very rough time when I started smoking.  I had lost a kid and a girlfriend and was beyond miserable.  Slowly but surely it helped me get out of this slump and changed my life for the better(that and a number of other psychoactive plants put here on mother earth).  It got me thinking rationally about everything and i'm sure saved my life.  I can't imagine my life without cannabis.  

The main thing here is if it works for you, it works.  It affects everyone differently.  No one can tell you it doesn't make you feel better.  It's like a daily vitamin or your own prescription medicine( like pills you take every day ).  YOU know if it works.

Let me put it to you this way, would you rather take pills every day or smoke a proven non-toxic plant that is safer than the bullshit they call 'legal' drugs.(Painkillers, alcohol, cigarettes - all legal - all responsible for many many deaths).  You can't make a decision based on the legality of something because obviously the system is fucked.  Be your own person, think for yourself, do your own research and make a decision based on YOUR logic. 

And the most important thing.  It's illegal not because it's unhealthy, but because it's been illegal for so long ( they keep making up new excuses and TRYING to find something wrong with it ) it would take a lot and would affect a lot of industries.  This is too much thinking for people in power so it is better off left alone in their minds.  Plus nobody wants to be associated with this harmless plant because of crap that is fed to people about it being harmful and SUPER MIND ALTERING.

Just smoke it for you and fuck everyone else.

4. It saved my life too and I honestly would be in a ridiculously shitty situation without it.  I love it and it's a way of life.  People are just looking at the recreational side of it and kids getting high and doing stupid shit, but fail to even acknowledge the psychological effects if used responsibly and intelligently.

"mixing" marijuana with most prescriptions is "safe" - i.e. you won't get sick or die from interactions - mj not metabolized in the same way, not additive, also doesn't interfere with the ways these drugs work.  However the pharm woofie dust might alter your perceptions and make being high a different experience, possibly in a negative way.   

I wouldn't expect anything but a frightened no from psychiatrist, and would consider it irrelevant.

6. #26 Pot4fun, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
    mixing isnt safe period. theres just levels to how dangerous it could potentially be. obviously for antidepressants and stuff alike mixing marijuana isnt going to do much harm in the short term yes. but things like benzos and painkillers definetly isnt safe to be mixing with weed.

7. Marijuana is being used a lot to treat PTSD and secondary trauma stress.