Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is weed actually getting significantly more potent recently?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by preewee, Jul 29, 2012.

1. There have been a lot of articles on this lately.

HowStuffWorks "Marijuana Potency"
    Marijuana more potent than ever | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

What I don't get:
    If the reports of a single sample having 27% THC is true, why is that necessarily a bad thing? Even if weed nowadays does have more THC, wouldn't that just mean that people need to smoke less of it to get high? I mean, yes, new smokers wouldn't be likely to regulate their intake like that, but live and learn, right? Apparently medical problems are becoming more common, another thing I don't understand, since the LD50 of THC (amount needed to kill 50% of a given population) is extremely high, almost impossible to overdose on. Are these reports actually true? Is weed recently becoming more potent? And if so, is it actually detrimental to one's health?

To bring some personal insight into it, recently I've noticed that my weed has been causing me to green out much more frequently. I thought it was all in my head at first, but then similar things happened to my friend, then another one, then another one. Evidence of much more potent weed? All of us are seasoned smokers.

Thoughts?

2. either smoke less or dont smoke if you dont like it

3. They say it's more potent than ever and stronger to scare people. It's impossible to ingest the amount of THC to die. The reason it's getting stronger is because people use methods to get the most out of a plant. Nothing to worry about

4. ^What he said. We have perfected growing methods which give us high %'s of THC. They could have done the same shit back in the 70s and it would be just as strong as it is now.

This argument makes no sense.

So in 20 years we will be smoking MJ that has 60%+ THC? I mean in that time frame the potency will have at least doubled right? :rolleyes:

5. Dude if anything you should be happy its getting stronger.

6. don't get me wrong i'm not trying to be down on weed.. lol I'm just wondering if there is any merit to the argument that increased THC has negative effects on mental health and all the other random stuff they say... Personally I don't think that's true. Also people have been growing for thousands of years. Wouldn't methods have already be perfected by now? Not saying you're wrong I'm just thinking aloud here..

7. ^Yh Im wondering the same thing

8. It is definitely more potent, that's why my dad stopped smoking. I recently came out to my parents about my smoking and mentioned to my dad I knew he smoked, at which time I found out he actually almost never does anymore, only on occasion with friends, because he doesn't get the same effect anymore.

You really have to be a regular smoker nowadays for weed to be the happy go lucky drug many of us here make it out to be. For people that only smoke a few times a month, a lot of them either get very paranoid or so in their head it's impossible for them to enjoy the high unless they're completely alone. Not the giggly high many veteran stoners were used to in their youth.

So yes, it definitely is, but I for one love it! ;)

9. Wow firstly, I smoke once or twice a week, secondly I only get paranoid when smoking sativas and alone, if Im with my friend Im normal, and yh haha its cause of skunk which is much more potent, your dad could just smoke less or buy schwag