Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is weed a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Neighbors!, Feb 14, 2010.

1. NO! i cant say it enough, no no no no no! I mean sure i wouldnt have tried the shit i have if ididnt smoke. but thats only cause i got to weed first. ya know. i drank before i smoked. so is alcohol the gateway drug? or think of it this way. if i have beer before vodka or something. is beer the gateway drink? i know so many people whove only smoked for years. never tried anything else. got into an argument about it last night. thats why im bringing it up.

2. I had water before beer, therefore water is a gateway substance.

3. No. Your mind is a gateway drug!

4. yes, once you start smoking weed its only a matter of time before you get a chance to try other stuff

and id say only like 10-20% of people actually stick to just weed

5. Lortabs/Vicodin are the REAL gateway drug. Them, and xanax, seem to be the most abused pills that drug dealers seem to have around mostly and all it takes is them to flash it in front of a young kid, maybe 16 or 17, and they'll buy it. That's the experimental age. I know plenty of people who have stuck to weed, but I also know plenty of people who like harder shit like pills,heroin, and coke and totally fucked their life up.

6. Yes it is, don't be bias and face the facts.

7. it was deff the gateway for me. it was curiosity that got me. i went from weed to cocaine to meth to heroin and everything in between. but marijuana is the only thing i'll use now days.

my gf only smokes weed. shes done shroom and acid once or twice but shes not into anything else.

8. Weed was a gateway drug for me.

9. Alcohol was technically my gateway drug. Then I tried pharmaceutical grade meth then some other pills. Then weed lol. Now I throw in some opies in addition to weed, thats about it. It opens the door to access to other drugs. Its dependent on the individual whether or not they wish to indulge.

10. It is, only because it's illegal.

Legalize it, then you take it off the black market, closing gates to other illegal drugs. Your drug dealer doesn't have a chance to ask if you want to buy acid, coke, or other drugs if you go to a MJ shop in the first place.

11. Weed got me interested in mushrooms and LSD too.

12. I started poppin pills a while before I had even tried smoking bud.

13. It's only a gateway drug if you make it one...

Peer Pressure is not related to the pot being a gateway drug, its stupid people that fold under pressure then blame it on MJ...

Off course we are curious about other drugs, it human nature. And you can't control that so basically if people wanna get hooked on coke and heroin their going to do it.

Thats my 2 cents, these are my opinions interpret them how you want.

Ps. I don't really classify acid or shrooms as "hard drugs"

14. I'm with the OP here.
    the whole gateway argument actually infuriates me so I'll just leave it an emphatic NO!

weak minds are gateways....

15. it isnt a gateway drug, if you consider it to be think of why you think that.. Is it because you smoked weed and then did a bunch of other drugs? If so is weed the first drug you've ever done? No alcohol, no chocolate, no caffeine, no advil? The fact is you've most likely done these drugs first.
    The only reason why weed is considered a gateway is because it is the most readily available illegal substance. Therefore, you will probably try that first before any other harder to get-a-hold-of drugs. This myth was started by prohibitionists, true bs

16. Well to some people yes. Not for everybody, it was for me though. Some people smoke weed and they think oh hey this is what getting high is like? Word being stoned is awesome but im gonna keep it at just weed.. cause that other shit is fucked up. Then you got the people who are like so this is what getting high is like? This is fucking awesome... I gotta find other to things to get high or even higher off of.

To say it is gateway for nobody is stupid, but to say it is a gateway drug for everyone isnt true either. It really depends on the person.

17. I would say it all depends on the individual smoking the weed and how strong minded they really are.

If your unsure then I would suggest you stop tooking now and continue to live your life without weed.

I have not smoked weed in a longggg time or taken any drugs for that matter, 14 years to be precise.

I smoked weed for many years before moving on to barbs and speed also acid and 'E's etc etc right up to cocaine and more. ;)

Some can go there whole lifes with only ever touching weed and some can't. It all depends on the person.

Blaming weed for taking heroin or cocaine is crap. I know people who didn't smoke weed but snorted cocaine every day until there noses rotted away. Drinking coffee doesn't turn you to drinking brandy or vodka so again its a personal choice that the smoker chooses to do.

18. NOONONONON its not everyone I know doesnt smoke anything else.

19. I truly think it depends on the person. Mostly everyone tried marijuana first and then when they experience it isn't so bad, they think "Damn what else has my parents/media lied about" and might try something else. Like there's so much propaganda about marijuana then you try it and you start to wonder. Personally it wasn't like that for me but just saying.

I don't think it's a gateway drug, people just get to it first.