Is WA state ready for pot cafe?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by highscores, Nov 26, 2011.

1. This ones for WA state smokers...

Given the current regulations/laws on marijuana, I believe a pot cafe is ready to open up in WA state, Seattle specifically. Those who live in our state have noticed the one thing that allows dispensaries to open up: LOCATION. We have one city that willingly opened up 5 dispensaries on the same block but as soon as you cross the street the next city will reject your dispensary and call it illegal. Also, Seattle led the way a few years ago by voting marijuana be the lowest priority for police in the city. I believe Tacoma did the same recently.

So back to the cafe idea. This marijuana cafe will open up like a normal coffeeshop; similar to Starbucks or Tully's. Through word of mouth, we will let the locals know that the cafe is pot friendly and we welcome them to bring their own supply and hangout. The cafe will only sell drinks, per packaged foods, and smoke shop stuff (bongs/pipes/papers/etc). They will rent out vaporizers/bongs for the days use at the cafe. If anyone's ever been to the pot block in Vancouver bc, this is exactly like that.

For those who don't know, Canada has these all over. I've only been to the block in BC, but here's how it works. The locals realized that the people wanted a pot cafe and that the government only cares about busting big grow ops and dealers. While marijuana was still considered an illegal drug, the owners of the cafe got together with the city and reached to verbal agreement that the cops won't bust their customers when they open. The key was that no pot would be sold at the store and if they ever did raid the store all they'd find are personal amounts. Now I'm not sure if this is exactly how it went down so someone can correct me, but this is the story I've heard.

So after the first one opened, multiple shops opened in the area and soon after other Canadian cities began to copy. To me, the USA has reached this point in many cities, Seattle being the first that comes to mind because I live here :).

So whats going to happen on opening day? Will there be a 4:20 smoke out that forever changes the way we smoke pot in this country? Or will it be Tacoma Hempfest all over again with half the crowd going home with mini citations?

2. The Game Collective already has a smoking lounge

And yeah it's kinda bullshit how Seattle and Tacoma are 100% okay with collective's but once you go into the suburbs they act like MMJ doesn't exist. It's messed up.

3. I hope Seattle does make that leap. I'm currently in Vancouver and visit w hastings st daily because of its cafes and chilled out vibe. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and such talk is obscene so we need looser states such as Washington to start this potentially beautiful revolution:)

4. [quote name='"BA"']The Game Collective already has a smoking lounge

And yeah it's kinda bullshit how Seattle and Tacoma are 100% okay with collective's but once you go into the suburbs they act like MMJ doesn't exist. It's messed up.[/quote]

I'm aware of the GAME collective but the difference between them is that they are MMJ and are prone to get raided at any minute. IMO, MMJ has failed in WA state and America as a whole. A pot cafe will not sell any product. I haven't been to GAME but is this accurate?

5. I have never had the chance to go to GAME....seemed too sketchy for me. Honestly, I don't think legalization will happen here for another 10 years.

Think about it like this....the MMJ bill passed back in 1998. We are JUST starting to get exposure in the MMJ industry....that took a solid 10 years. Now we are getting serious about legalization...I'd imagine it'll be another 10 years before that happens.

The feds will allow MMJ here, but you really have to adhere to the laws....and the laws are rather strict imo.

6. MMJ has failed in WA State?

That is hilarious and makes it hard for me to take your post seriously.

And no.. This state is not ready, MAYBE in Seattle.. MAYBE.. But that really is the only place it would work out.

I want to open a Cana Cafe myself in this state, but Im just waiting for out right legalization and controls to be put into place, even if it takes 10 years so be it.

I'd like to have a facility with two seperate prep areas/cooking ares so foods are not cross contaminated, I would be able to provide both infused and non infused foods to provide to users AND their friends.

Honestly I would love a place with the Atmosphere of Parrilla in Bend, but with a menu that offers also cannabis products.

Parrilla Grill Delivery Menu Bend Oreogn

Parilla in Bend Oregon.. By far my most favorite place to eat in the United States.

7. [quote name='"Husky42"']

MMJ has failed in WA State?

That is hilarious and makes it hard for me to take your post seriously.

And no.. This state is not ready, MAYBE in Seattle.. MAYBE.. But that really is the only place it would work out.

[/quote]

Here's how I see it...

While WA state the best MMJ program outside of CA, here are a few reasons I think it's a failure...

- 145th street/hwy 99 is the border for shoreline and Seattle. Recently, a dispensary had to shut down because it was on the north side of 145th street. Within one mile of their location there were 6 dispensaries. After months of dispute they were able to reopen. When one city sees a business as legal and it's border city sees the same business as illegal, I cannot call the program a success.

- The word DONATIONS... You cannot legally purchase marijuana. All these dispensaries operate as non profits and everything you pay them is considered a donation. I don't know the legal difference between the two, but it's obvious some sort of legal loophole is going on here.

- MMJ license cost $100-200 and $100 a year renewal? That's reasonable for a doctor check up I guess but when you hand out doctor recommendations like coupons to anyone who has money, I don't believe that price is reasonable. I got my recommendation 6 months ago and that was the standard price. In CA, it's around $40 cus everyone knows what's going on. Up here, it seems like some doctors are reluctant to sign the recommendation, while cash hungry doctors fresh out of school are completely willing and are not scared to charge a high price for it.

- if you know anyone who runs or works at a dispensary you can ask them all the precautions they had to take before opening. My buddy spent months looking for a building that'll let him open. Once he found one, the landlord told him he couldn't have Internet advertising and his street sign could only be read by people walking by.

Again, this is just my opinion. There are just too many things to be scared of participating in MMJ in WA. Maybe not so much for the patients, but the providers. EVERYBODY that has a dime invested in this industry is scared to get raided. Until it becomes as easy to open a dispensary as it is to open a bar, I cannot call this movement a success.

8. Btw, no one has really answered the question at the end of the post. What would happen if this cafe opened up and a crowd of 30 came on opening day with less than 2 grams each and rolled up js and packed pipes? Would Seattle PD break up the party? Would it be possible to have an unwritten agreement with the state/city beforehand? That's basically how the BC shops operate. I'm pretty sure DEA isn't sending a task force to hand out petty misdemeanors. Is it possible Seattle is ready?

9. I agree, MMJ has its flaws in WA, mainly because of the attitudes in the area and those that are trying to gain a monopoly on an industry rather than help ailing patients. I know a lot of dispensaries where helping patients is hardly their first priority.

I considered opening up a cafe/dispensary when I graduated, but it takes a fair amount of start-costs and try to go get a loan saying you're opening up a weed store, more or less. ...

But with the recent raids from the DEA and WA-sheriff office, I wonder about SPD and whether something like this would be okay to stick around for longer than a year or two. I really don't know how they'd handle it, but it'd probably be based on the theme of the cafe and the attitude around it.... because law enforcement loves to discriminate. If it is a political statement, they probably won't very much like it. If it keeps to its own and doesn't make weed seem like a normal aspect of life, then they'd probably let it hang around for a bit until it got infiltrated with junkies that just use it as a dealer-space.

But hey, if anyone is trying to set up a Seattle pot cafe, let me know and I"ll help however I can.

10. [quote name='"PrincessTHC"']

But hey, if anyone is trying to set up a Seattle pot cafe, let me know and I"ll help however I can.[/quote]

This is the exact response I'm looking for that'll show this city's ready. I seriously think that the majority, probably even 80+% of Seattle, would approve of this cafe. The only thing preventing it from happening is all the laws and the bullshit we have to go through to change them.

11. Monday - Saturday 10am - 7 pm-Sunday 12 pm - 6 pm
    Now Open 7 Days a Week!
    Phone Number 253-302-5539
    711 Opera Alley / Court 'C', Tacoma, WA
    Join Us Every Sunday for NFL Game Day!
    Free Hot Dogs & Chips, Big Screen -Mail info@cannatonics.org

12. [quote name='"Armory"']Monday - Saturday 10am - 7 pm-Sunday 12 pm - 6 pm
    Now Open 7 Days a Week!
    Phone Number 253-302-5539
    711 Opera Alley / Court 'C', Tacoma, WA
    Join Us Every Sunday for NFL Game Day!
    Free Hot Dogs & Chips, Big Screen -Mail info@cannatonics.org[/quote]