Is voting independent the best a person can do?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DavidH, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I think a good majority of the vote this year will be either for Barack Obama or Against Obama. Not to many are voting for Mccain.
    I will say this, my wife and i have talked, and if Obama does win, we have decided to sale the business. I'm not dealing with all that shit its frustrating enough now.

2. No, hes saying vote for whoever you want, but when you do so that you are essentially giving away your vote to one of the 2 major parties.

3. This cannot be true in every election.

Good thing you provided me with proof why...

So, in 1992 Perot supporters took votes from the Republicans but in 2000 they took votes from the Democrats? You are just taking the third party votes and twisting the numbers to suit your agenda against voting for a third party.

A vote for the two major parties is a vot for that party or against the other. A vote for a third party is a vote against both major parties... which is exactly the message I want to send.

4. Democracy...

I guess it's failed.

5. No, I say these things because I understand how presidential elections work.
    Also part of my point... the only way the American political landscape will change is if the two major parties change. Neither party is the same as it was 50 years ago, and they surely won't be the same 50 years from now. The question is, what direction will the people steer them in? Voting third party surely hasn't achieved anything, so it's obvious that the change has to come from the inside.
    Again, I'm not telling you who to vote for. I'm telling you who your vote is ultimately going to help win.
    Exactly.
    No... Perot didn't run in 2000. I said Ralph Nader. They are two different candidates with two different sets of political beliefs and two different voter bases.
    The United States is a constitutional republic.

6. Ahh, well...

"I stick by my story!"

I feel that having integrity and a genuine purpose in my vote is much more important than playing "victor" or "spoiler"... as if it's ever gonna come down to your one deciding vote anyway.

With this "foresighted" logic, you might aswell stay home, CosmicSerpent... South Carolina- that's McCain country. Your wasting your vote on Obama because McCain has already won SC. In the same sense that McBama's already won nationwide. ;)

7. like I said...democracy

It's failed.

8. #28 bkadoctaj, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
    I was simply pointing out two perspectives: eye of the voter and eye of the candidates. Each sees a vote differently. Is it possible to see eye to eye if you can't talk heart to heart?

Just stressing that if neither "big" candidate seems like they have a human heart, it wouldn't be throwing your vote away to vote for a third-party candidate who seems more human, compassionate, caring, or responsible. :)

Yeah, there's a logical way to vote, and there's also a rational way. It's your responsibility to decide which way you'll vote based on what you feel matters to you.

lol Obama-madness. Funny how in half a year a single man moves from "not a snowball's chance in hell" to "greatest fucking menace to both national and international security possible in the form of a well-lubricated and oiled machine."

Plain and simple explanation. Makes total sense to me, honestly. :)

Anyone who would go on and on about how we have a pure democracy doesn't know about representative or direct democracy. CosmicSerpent already addressed this, I notice...

9. You're right... my state has been red for years and will continue to be red for years to come. Although I am a bit surprised that McCain even won the primaries here. I was expecting it to be Romney or Huckabee.

10. It wouldn't be a very good show if it wasn't full of surprises. ;)

Remember, McCain's snowball was alot deeper in the pits of hell than Obama's ever was... now he's got half the nation praying he wins. Oh, CNN how you entertain me. :D

11. What happen to the whiggs party? I guess it died the third party death, huh.

12. No, McCain ran in 2000. I disagree.
    But, I can't disprove that this whole Obama thing is a conspiracy.

13. Yeah, but no less than a month before the first primary McCain's campaign was declared "dead" by all the news media. Just because people knew who he was doesn't mean he had a "viable shot" nine months ago. People knew Obama across the nation four years ago, but he didn't become the Messiah until the comeback on Hillary.

Of course Obama's campaign is a conspiracy... to trick the whole world into thinking they are going to get change. They do it every four years. ;)

14. Who's included in this "they"? ;)
    the'y = the authority?

15. If I knew that, they'd be dead. :devious: ;)

Specific government officials, elite bankers, policy planners... people with motives, plans, goals. "They" are always up to something...

16. My thoughts, exactly.

17. Well, I'd rather "give" a vote to Obama, by voting for Nader, than give a vote to Obama by voting for Obama.

Cosmic, what you are saying is the truth-but that's only because of people like you.

18. If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em! ;)

19. Unless cosmicserpent is running the media or hes one of the filthy rich backers i doubt its because of people like him. Although it appears the voters elected these two as the front runners in actuality we had nothing to do with it, the powers that be chose the two. The powers that be keep the news media from giving the third party candidates any validity through media coverage. The filthy rich backers further insure the playing field is so uneven that a third party candidate has no possibility competing by funneling vast amounts of money to the two chosen candidates.

As i said this UNFAIRNESS can be stopped. But you have to start a third party at the Congressional level so that the media is forced to notice and thus giving the third party recognition and validity in the public eye. With the majority of the public recognizing and viewing it as a valid political political party, you can then run a third party candidate for the office of President.

When you run a presidential candidate from a third party that the public knows very little about, the candidate is viewed by the majority of the sheeple as a kook, a radical, and the press will do nothing to quall that.

20. budda,

Perfectly stated man, couldn't agree more.
    Just look at the last round of dem and rep debates. Certain candidates were asked way more questions and given much more attention. I remember huckabee (might have been romney) freaking out about this during the last debates.

They ran those debates like episodes of american idol imo.. i guess they feel that we wont watch unless they make it "entertaining". I liked it better when politics was boring, and the candidates stood up and "bored" us by discussing issues.