Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is using ice in your piece as bad as people make it sound?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by MattBlazin, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Are ice catches really even bad to use? I cant see why people consider them harmful.

Ive been smoking out of my illadelph since january and frequently used ice in it, and just got myself a new SYN and i use ice in that bitch too. I dont feel that its having any negative impacts on my body or lungs.

What do you guys know?

2. ice is suppose to help make the hit smoother i dont see how its "bad"?

3. why would it be bad for you? If anything it's probably better for you.. you're good.

4. It's only bad if you use too much ice

5. Some guy I knew got a lung infection from hitting the roor with Ice too much.

6. I've heard people say its "bad" because your inhaling cold water vapor into your lungs and some shit about pnemonia or w/e.

fuck it, ice it is.

7. It probably won't hurt you anymore than the tar that's entering your lungs but that's unavoidable with vaporizers as the one exception.

I've heard that ice could cause harm because it cools the smoke to a temperature lower than your body heat and that makes your body work extra hard to heat it back up but seeing as the combustion temperature of marijuana is probably like 1000 degrees it probably won't hurt you that much haha.

8. hell yea, do you know the effects of "weed tar" i guess haha, on the human body or lungs? does it fuck with us?

9. it makes it harder to breath when your doing shit like running and swimming and stuff that demands movement but it's no worse than cigarette smoke. And if you're using a bong the water is filtering out most of the undesirable junk that comes with that sweet ganja high.

10. I knew there was an underlying reason for buying my bongs other than the fact they get me super high.

11. I heard ice was actually better for you o_O because it gives you better hits and it doesnt burn the bottom of your piece ...

12. um... what? do you really think your lighter can produce that much heat?

13. Most lighters burn at around 1000 F.

14. i just did a google search, and i've literally had to rummage through the crap people post... i had one where they said it burned at 4000 F... and ive also had one stating that it was below 1000 F... i can't seem to find a straight answer about it, not from a source that would be reliable (say a lighter company). do you have links?

15. It is VERY unlikely it was due to the ice, as in, it didn't happen... how about all us northern folk, who wander around in sub-zero (ie COLDER than an average ice-cube!) temperatures all winter long?

As for comments on fuel burning temps.. plant matter tends to combust at around or below 450 F, depending on its composition. Oils and resins have different combustion temperatures, than other plant tissues for instance.

A few common fuel temperatures in the average/oxygen environment (the minimum temperature of the smallest flame possible to be produced, using said fuel source);

Propane - 1,980 C / 3596 F

Butane - 1,970 C / 3578 F

Methane - 1,957 C / 3554.6 F

It's why combustion destroys roughly 50% or more of your potency, before it even reaches your lungs!

A hemp-wick burns at about half those temperatures. And when vaping, the non-combusted vapor of most cannabis glandular material generally occurs at temperatures below 430 F.

Hope this helps (although some of it is a little off-topic :eek: )! :wave:

16. [quote name='"BadKittySmiles"']

It is VERY unlikely it was due to the ice, as in, it didn't happen... how about all us northern folk, who wander around in sub-zero (ie COLDER than an average ice-cube!) temperatures all winter long?

As for comments on fuel burning temps.. plant matter tends to combust at around or below 450 F, depending on its composition. Oils and resins have different combustion temperatures, than other plant tissues for instance.

A few common fuel temperatures in the average/oxygen environment (the minimum temperature of the smallest flame possible to be produced, using said fuel source);

Propane - 1,980 C / 3596 F

Butane - 1,970 C / 3578 F

Methane - 1,957 C / 3554.6 F

It's why combustion destroys roughly 50% or more of your potency, before it even reaches your lungs!

A hemp-wick burns at about half those temperatures. And when vaping, the non-combusted vapor of most cannabis glandular material generally occurs at temperatures below 430 F.

Hope this helps (although some of it is a little off-topic :eek: )! :wave:[/quote]

Hey man believe what you want.

17. #18 BadKittySmiles, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012

I do tend to base my beliefs on common knowledge and science, so sure thing! :p

If you believe that inhaling through an ice cube or three, will give you a lung infection, then all the more power to you... But, you do know you're on a forum where this is a very common practice, right? And that some of us use colder snow in the winter in our bongs, for filtration? :eek:

But seriously.. why would it make someone sick?

Unless he went out to the store, then bought and used dry ice (ie. solid carbon dioxide) and literally caused extensive tissue damage, whatever his problem was, it was not some hardly-chilled air. [​IMG]

Think about it, millions upon millions of people live in colder climates than your average freezer, and they spend hours at a time outside in that weather, myself included.

The ice cube itself?

It's warmer than where I grew up, for three to five months out of the year.

The air that comes off it?

Even warmer! :eek:

It's the same thing as thinking; "he breathed some air, therefor, it gave him a lung infection."

So, we all just get lung infections from breathing now. [​IMG]

It's the same as the old belief that, when meat goes off or spoils, it just develops the mold and maggots that thrive in it, all on its own, without outside help.... or that the fruit flies that emerge from your fruit, were born or a product of the fruit itself, without any egg laying, larval state or the rest of their natural life-cycle... these are ancient, out-dated myths! Just like a cool breeze automatically making you ill, simply because it's cold!

The elderly and babies can have complications with an already-existing harmful microbial element when they get cold, but still, even then it's only when their body temperatures dip too low, for too long.

Things that can, EASILY make a person ill; old bong water, new bong water put in an unsanitary bong, moldy weed, moist living areas, and sick people sharing pipes. Heck, I'll even give you filthy ice-cube trays.

If anything gave him a lung infection, it was a viral/bacteria/fungal agent, and unless the ice-cube tray itself was contaminated, then (drum roll, please!) it's just as likely to occur with room temperature water. :smoke:

Hope this helps clear things up for you! :wave:

18. ^^^truth. Spoken. BIIIIIOOOOOOITTCHHHH!!!

19. I think that clears up the topic a bit