Is using Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil Organic Growing?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Redskins420, Nov 12, 2010.

1. I have heard LOTS of GREAT Things about Fox Farm Ocean Forest! The nearest retailer of it is 3 hours away in San Antonio, TX. I MUST GET IT! Everybody says Organic brings out the best taste out of the strain u r growing, Is this True? Do u still need to add Nutrients to it or does the soil have everything my plant needs?

2. You are correct, organic is the way to go. You will see a huge difference in taste, burn and fragrance. Fox farm is considered organic. Some will debate that only making soil from scratch is truly organic. I use fox farm and I love it!

You will need a fert regimen. I use Botanicare line of ferts. You can also mix into the soil true organic compounds like blood and bone meal, dolimite lime etc. If you take that route, you would only need to water with straight h2o. This method is tricky, and requires research, trial and error and preferably a recipe to get you started.

Good luck!

3. OK, I am not really experienced in a fertilizing regimen by mixing them into the soil. Can i add my nutrients by the watering method? Can i use Advanced Nutrients Bud Candy to feed my plant? (My boy gave me a quart of that) I will just be giving it less than half of the recommended dose and see how it goes from there. How has the fox farm been treating you? I have been using miracle-gro b4 this but almost everybody says there is no comparison between MG and Fox Farm.

4. Just so you know, Bud Candy isnt organic.

Not that I'm saying theres anything wrong with it, it just isnt organic.

good luck.

jerry.

5. Just going to throw out my two pennies.

Through the research I've done, FF is a waste. A lot of people experience burning, pests, and other problems with their line, and not to mention the cost.

Read LD's thread called "an organic soil of mine", you will find easy to use soils and nute lines that are cheaper and actually organic. I'm going to be using Dr. Earth products for medium and nute line.

6. fox farms soil isn't worth a 3 hour drive thats for sure, you can probably find something better or equal locally.

7. Bud Candy will not fuck up the taste of the weed,Will It? Like what can i find equal or better than it locally?

8. #8 TexRx, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
    Here's what I think:

1- If you want to use a little bit of your Bud Candy during flowering at 1/2 strength or less, I say it's OK. Going 100% organic is not that easy. It's like going Vegan - it requires that you read every ingredient on every label of every product that you buy. That equals = time consuming

2- My experience with Fox Farms Ocean Forest is that it retains too much moisture. This doesn't allow the roots to breathe and with all the nutrients in the mix, this could burn your plant. I would mix FF Ocean Forest with some CoCo fibers at the rate of 50/50 to allow better drainage. Or you could just go with a soilless mix. Roots Orgainics CoCo mix is one I'm familiar with and it is by far the best mix I've ever used. You can even add some extra worm castings, high quality compost or even some kelp powder to it if you want

:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Going 100% Organic really is not as hard as some people think.

I am a strong advocate of composting and using what is available locally. It is easier for me since I work in a kitchen that uses only organic produce which I like to compost. I also make leaf humus, save grass clippings, compost my own food scraps, etc.

If you start reading up on composting, making leaf humus, checking worm counts, etc. Then you will totally get into it.

I rarely use store bought nutrients because I can make almost anything myself. And I also occasionally buy things like kelp meal, greensand, lime, and whatnot.

If you get into composting then I guarantee you will be hooked!
    It is absolutely fascinating and fun to do!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brother Dude, you have a LOT of shops in TX to choose from! Also, check out Rabbit Hill Farm. They're local (state) to you and very inexpensive. Check out some of the 'roll your own' soil mixes posted around The City. You can build your own soil probably 'better' and more suited to your grow style that you can trying to buy a pre-packaged product. Just start with your peat base and add to it. The big box stores carry suitable peat in the large bales. If coco is your thing, do that as well. The FFOF is something like $20 a cf or something outrageous isn't it?

Hell, TX has got tons of organic options. I know... I used to live there! And if you're 3 hours from San Antone I can sorta triangulate where you be. For the money, you're better off doing something different than FFOF IMO. IDK for sure because I haven't used the FFOF product but it seems like the majority of the growers that post and do use it have a lot of problems with it. But IDK. I say, build your own and then you'll know for sure. It ain't that difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FF does have fert for your first month or so. This is not organic. Organic is feeding the roots with bacteria and microbes not bottles. They are for FIXING stuff, But, it shouldn't need fixing if you make a good mix. Duh

Don't wanna be spreadin misinformation

I