Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is this true?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by monsterhill, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Is smoking marijuana safe?

I read this and it got me worried.

I was taken from here Effects of Marijuana - The Health Effects of Marijuana

What about the heart claims?

2. It's a pretty biased source I'd say. A person who claims to be an expert on alcoholism. Plus the people the author cites work from are clearly anti-weed.

3. well,some those things are mostly untrue, because its the damnd governmets prophaganda. keep blazin, you wont get lung cancer, you wont become a vegetable,you wont have a heart attack because of weed alone.:smoking:

4. I doubt it... I think anti-marijuana propagandists would have a field day if there has been a specific instance where someone had a heart attack after smoking pot. If there was an actual example of this, it would be blown up into a big thing and we'd see it everywhere, but even then, one example still wouldn't make it a solid fact.

That's just my two cents, I could be totally wrong.

5. this study or whatever is bogus, its too completley biased so it is meant to make weed look bad and half this shit doesnt happen.

6. What isn't outright false is seriously exaggerated.

7. It's all in the rhetoric buddy.
    here take this article from the same site.

Pot causes accident? thats what i would decipher from this quote.
    then i go on to read:

okay so now MJ + Alcohol is dangerous.

2.5% is less than the unemployment rate.

this was actually mixing alcohol and cannabis. conclusion is supposed to answer question but never does.

8. I've smoked pot for 30 years and nothing bad has happened. I just keep sitting on Pete's couch.

9. #9 SuperChronic!, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
    If you care to read....I compiled this information.

Tobacco
    Smoking Deaths Cost Nation $92 Billion in Lost Productivity Annually

1995-1999 440,000
    1997-2001 438,000
    Approx/per year: 109,750

Smoking, on average, reduces adult life expectancy by approximately 14 years.
    “Despite the slow steady declines in prevalence in the United States, cigarette smoking still causes hundreds of thousands of preventable deaths each year,"^1

Alcohol
    Each year in the United States more than 100,000 people die from drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.^2
    In 2006, 13,470 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (32%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States ^3

Marijuana
    Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death^4

No Marijuana Deaths in 2 Large Studies
    *A large HMO looked at 65,177 men and women age 15-49. Over 10 years, marijuana users died no sooner than nonusers.
    *The second study looked at 45,450 Swedish army conscripts. They were 18-20 years old when asked about marijuana use. Fifteen years later, the marijuana users were just as likely to remain alive as nonusers.
    A 2001 study suggested that marijuana smoking increases the risk of heart attack in the hour immediately after smoking. But this seems to be the case in no more than one-fifth of 1% of heart attacks -- a very rare risk indeed. Sidney warns that longer-term data may indeed show that marijuana smoking eventually raises the risk of premature death.^5
    * A low THC dose (100 ug/kg) does not impair driving ability in urban traffic to the same extent as a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.04g%.
    * Drivers under the influence of marijuana tend to over-estimate the adverse effects of the drug on their driving quality and compensate when they can; e.g. by increasing effort to accomplish the task, increasing headway or slowing down, or a combination of these.
    * Drivers under the influence of alcohol tend to under-estimate the adverse effects of the drug on their driving quality and do not invest compensatory effort.
    * The maximum road tracking impairment after the highest THC dose (300 ug/kg) was within a range of effects produced by many commonly used medicinal drugs and less than that associated with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08g% in previous studies employing the same test.^6
    Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.^7

Annual Causes of Death in the United States

85,000 1

17,0001, 5

• Like Like x 1
  10. Smoking Marijuana is extremely dangerous.
    I actually died from it.

11. Lol BS! However I do think that if some guy with rediculously high blood pressure smoked a shit load of weed his risk might go up some for heart attack.

12. Durban, one of the effects of THC is your blood pressure dropping.

I would be more concerned about someone with Low Blood pressure smoking, and then fainting from the sudden blood pressure drop.

Its not dangerous, dont believe he hype.

13. The net change is very small. While heart rate is increased, THC is also a strong vasodialotor so it opens the blood vessels some. The net result is a slight drop in BP in some people.

14. I think I've passed out from this once. There's no real way to tell if it was this or dehydration, but smoking doesn't usually cause fainting when I'm dehydrated (since I'm always dehydrated) so I'm leaning towards a blood pressure drop causing it. Regardless, I was back to normal in about 15 seconds so no one has anything to worry about regardless :hello:

15. seriously with the lung shit, theres no way to say holdin in a big hit isn't bad for ure lungs, not many people r very healthy at 70 yrs old. Enjoy ure life now and live how u want, lifes gunna suck in one way or another at 70. dont live ure life so ull b a healthy old person. Its a waste

16. I fucking love Pete's couch.

+rep 'cuz I like your posts.

17. Bullshit. It uses ambiguous "research" to support unfounded claims. Pics of weed causing cancer or it didn't happen.

As far as the "Short term symptoms," that's being high.

18. Truth.

19. Also, for the heart-risk thing, as well as a few others: Those are symptoms of coughing.