Is this soil mix ok?

Discussion in 'Absolute Beginners' started by grapemilk, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Im really trying to stretch the ffof because I bought one bag of it and realized needed way more than just one bag for what I wanted to do, so I came up with this.

This may sound like a ubernube mix but I need help.

3 parts ffof
    2 parts Black Kow
    2 parts 20-20-20 cow manure
    3 parts vermiculite

Is this going to be too much for the plants? Please let me know.

2. Is it a money issue that is stopping you from buying more ocean forest? What is the black kow, btw?? If it were me making this soil, I would probably add a bunch of perlite to the mix. Almost any soil can be improved with this ingredient. I would be careful to add any manure or fert to the mix for seedlings because you raise the chance of burning your babies. hope that helps a bit : )

edit: I would probably just do a mix of ocean forest, perlite, and vermiculite. just my $.02.

3. I agree! I use a mix of ffof and ffhf with vermiculite, perlite, peat moss and bat guano. becareful with the guano though. It can burn your babies as mentioned above.

4. Hey guys thanks for the advice. Yes, it's a $ thing with the FFOF. I heard that it was a lot cheaper to mix your own soil after I bought the FFOF, so it's mainly just something I have and I want to put into the mix.

This is a link to the Black Kow - Black Kow - The Mature Manure
    its npk is .5-.5-.5; supposed to be pretty good shit. Pun intended.

Is the 2 parts cow manure that's npk is 20-20-20 going to be too much?

5. FFOF can be a little hot for seedlings, so I think it's a great idea to cut it with other soils. It looks good to me.

Grasscity Deals Near You