Is this root rot? Help. Please.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by soapshoedude, Oct 24, 2016.

1. I just want to say I'm growing for a relative that is fighting cancer, not just to get high off some dank bud, so this is very important and any help or advice you could offer is much appreciated and it's going to a good cause-

Here are the plants. Looking pretty good to me. The color Looks good. I just did a res change yesterday I come back today and I see this shit. I've used hyrdogaurd since day 1 but I just read somewhere that it's not even effective with root rot because it's a fungus?
    They're white widow autos about 7 weeks old. I cleaned the res every time I changed it.
    Anyway I just gotta know if it's root rot and what to do if it is. Any advice from a pro would be great. Thank you to all. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Does it smell ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yea it does. Pretty sure it's the beginning of root rot. Interesting that it just happened now towards the end of grow

4. Should I use hydrogen peroxide? Should I clean res and flush roots with flora kleen? Is there anything I can do

5. #5 Tbone Shuffle, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    You have a lot of work ahead of you. You must immediately change the water in the reservoir and in the process clean everything you can. I used 3% peroxide to clean my net pots. I pulled paper towels down my roots and the rotten ones come off.

After you've done as careful and thorough cleaning you have to add a beneficial fungal to your res. I'm not sure if you're using one right now. Generally root rot is caused by fungus. The Pythium, Phytophthora, Rhizoctonia, or Fusarium fungi are the usual culprits. If you don't add a beneficial fungus to your res it will just come back most likely once it's got a foot hold like that. There are several products out there. The last root rot thread I helped deal with the guy ended up buying this advanced nutrient product.
    Piranha | Beneficial Fungi | Advanced Nutrients

He claimed it wiped it clean in one application. It might be worth trying. I use General Hydroponics but advanced nutrients sells some legit stuff. I use their budcandy product for a sugar supplement to mostly feed beneficials.

Of course there's many others. I use GH subculture M along with hydroguard myself to keep bad growth at bay in my reservoirs. There's other successful formulas.

I've been meaning to switch to another product for an all in one beneficial organism supplement I've done a bit of looking into and it lives up to the reviews from what I've seen.
    Recharge Natural Soil Conditioner

The recharge has fungal supplements and bacterias in one can along with humic acid for good rooting and nutrient chelation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. #6 soapshoedude, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    I'm using hydrogaurd right now. I have since the beginning. Should I still get pirañha. So if I do all these necessary steps, I still may be able to have a good harvest? And should I spray the peroxide on the roots as well?

7. I would wash the roots like I described. You have a pretty bad infestation just by looking at your pictures. Hydroguard is good stuff but it's just a bacterial supplement. Root rot is a fungus and won't be effected much by the hydroguard. I would either get piranha or GH subculture M.

Personally I think you'll be lucky to get a full recovery. The roots look pretty bad. The plant is still relatively healthy looking on top so that may save you. If you can get the reservoir healthy again the plant will bounce back and put out new healthy roots.

Slimy half rotten roots that just tear off can just be removed. Try not to remove them all. Wipe and clean if you can.

8. Tbone is right man, I had the same shit happen to me and it dogged me for months. I got this stuff called fongarid which i mixed up and poored through the hydroton through the roots and into the res. It literally wiped all of it out within a week a lot of the roots were stringy after though. I ended up having to use this stuff called nutrifield root nector, both products are Aussie so you might not of heard of it but its the best root shit I have ever used. My plants are smaller then yours but my roots are twice the size of yours and still getting bigger.

Get ahold of both those and you will be set man.

9. Thanks mate would you mind leaving links to these products?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I suggest that you place them in a container with florakleen before you put them back. I would clean everything and trim of dead roots. What is your water temps? How much air are you pumping into the reservoir? I find keeping the water under 78 degrees and I make sure I have plenary if air pumped into my res as it helps provide o2 to the roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 euroguy1989, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    http://agnova.com.au/content/custom/products/downloads/Fongarid-AgNote.pdf
    That's the link for Fongarid, I haven't seen it anywhere lately but I got this new stuff that my local hydro shop said you can use the same way and is a replacement. I have yet to use it though, I will prob use it in the next or day so and let you know how it goes.
    Just make sure with either product you mix it up and poor it through the hydroton/medium so that goes in the res rather then straight into the res. And ignore what it says with rotguard about spraying it on the plants just mix it up like I said and poor it through as per my hydroguy ;)
    AMGROW ROTGUARD FONGARID REPLACEMENT 500ML | eBay

And root nectar is:
    Nutrifield Root Nectar 1 ltr

Use this stuff a week or so after the fongarid/rotguard and you see the roots starting to whiten again, mine looked all stringy from the root rot eating at them but within a week of adding the root nectar to the res my roots exploded. I used more then the bottle stated I am still using 15 ml per 12lts and I have had no issues yet.

Hope that helps!

12. I Would honestly just get a sterile blade and cut the roots. In the end it'll take the same amount of time to recover from shock but you know you are starting fresh. Clean out res and all parts.

13. Are you running that water through a chiller of not what's you h20 temps look like

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum