Is This Really Still The Land Of The Free?

Discussion in 'General' started by CheebaCowboy, Jun 9, 2013.

1. #1 CheebaCowboy, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
    So a bit of a political rant, but have you heard about the latest coming out with the former CIA/NSA employee who had access to all these classified documents that the US plans to implement to monitor their citizens at all times?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance

So with these latest scandals going on, what are your thoughts? Do you care enough to see? Do you not believe this is an issue? How much longer until we're robbed of our reason and stripped of our freedom??

So some of you might be aware of how powerful the U.S. really is in comparison with the rest of the world, other might not so i'll make a brief summary. It is the only superpower in terms of economy and military strength, it has 12 carriers (rest of the world are lucky to have 1, 2, or 3 AT MOST) which all have more firepower than all of the previous nuclear warfare used in the past wars and etc combined.

It has unmanned drones that can take you out from almost anywhere, can dissipate you and only a small radius around you if needed or it can blow everything up.

Every day it passes more and more legislatation,policies, etc to flex more power over everyday citizens and strips you or monitors you of your internet rights and what not. Heard of SIPA??

The truth of it is, at this point we are no more than pawns in a game of chess. Now it won't be long before there are surveillance drones flying around our very own backyards and streets and can catch us off guard (no more smoking a jernt low-key!!) But how much longer?

http://news.yahoo.com/drones-large-small-coming-us-010537668.html

America was the only nation created solely for the purpose of advancing human freedom, this is what my political science teacher always uttered. To which whom I asked about the link above, and he responded he had absolutely NO PROBLEM with the U.S. government watching him at all times like big brother even in the shower or whatever. He thought it was bitchin'

TL;DR: How do you feel about the U.S. GOVT and their control/surveillance over you? Do you care that you could be being watched/tracked at any time and even as you surf the web? Even if we wanted to take action as a mass, would we stand a chance? How much longer until this blows out of proportion? If you could move to another country, would you?

Thank you for your time blades. Please discuss your thoughts and opinions below. I will do so in a minute.

2. that was really long and im drunk so i'm just gonna respond to the title

no

if it was, i wouldnt be facing jail time because i smoke a plant in the comfort of my own home and listen to music

i'm not out stealin or smashin mailboxes

i smoke, and i eat a steak watch a movie listen to music

to alleviate symptoms associated with crohns

PO dont give a fuck

violate me for smokin bud.  even though i'm a great good person.  i'm in classes that she probably doesnt even know the meaning of the class title.  i've pulled people out of rubble in the immediate aftermath of tornadoes.  i've volunteered my free time at old folks homes and VA hospitals.  i;m taking care of another woman's 4 kids.  i'm a good person

wait, no i'm not.  i smoke weed.  duh

3. #3 Bronx Finest, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
    Yes, we can do what we want for the most part and before anyone says OMG WEED IS ILLEGAL SO ITS NOT FREE haha places have rules break em if you want just don't get caught up

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Grasscity Mobile Forum app

4. It is sinking.

Poseidon's on a mission, about to turn it up to eleven...Brace yourself at twelve. :cool:

5. "Land of the free?" What the fuck do you think? The answer's obvious and you already answered your own question.

6. ok, but what's the point in having  laws against weed or any drug? if we really lived in a free world people should be able to choose what they want to do, not be told what to do especially if it's a victimless activity .

7. At this exact moment in time, yes I still feel like I live amongst the wonderful freedom our constitution allows us to have. But for the past 10 years watching the dominoes fall, I know the time is coming. 

8. the short answer is no....

the long answer would require more energy and commitment than I am wiling to participate in right now.....

9. Nothings changed for me personally.  But I'm not negligent to that I could be being watched.  But I don't think they'd come after me personally.  I do think it's wrong...but nothings really changed for me.

10. We can do what we want and then face the punishment. That's not really freedom.

11. #11 Bronx Finest, Jun 10, 2013
    We can do what we want and then face the punishment. That's not really freedom.
    </blockquote>Looks at Saudi Arabia, they're not even allowed to protest or speak agenst the government in any shape or form they're not even allowed to wear most clothing. Look at all the third world countrys you'll realize how much freedom we have

12. The US government has the power to start a civil fucking war. The first to rebel will be Texas.

13. #13 Bronx Finest, Jun 10, 2013
    ok, but what's the point in having laws against weed or any drug? if we really lived in a free world people should be able to choose what they want to do, not be told what to do especially if it's a victimless activity .
    </blockquote>So what your saying is that since its a free country we could have a country full of crack heads and meth addicts and everything would be ok? Hell, its a free country lets make murder legal too ! Its a free country so let everyone do what the fuck they want. Id hate to have you as a president lol you must be misinterpreting "Free country," free country doesn't mean we can run wild it means everyone had equal rights and We can do anything we want FOR THE MOST PART everything has restrictions remember that and you may not like them but just learn to live with it. We have it really good compared to most places your just to spoiled to realize it.

14. Yes. It sure fucking is. 

15. It pisses me off.. lots of things piss me off though.

Like the Hacker kid who brought the steaubenville Rape case is facing more time than the rapists...

That Assad is using chemical weapons against his own people..

The thing that pisses me off the most about this scandal though is that the whistleblower is holed up in hong kong in fear of being jailed forever or just dissapearing or some crazy ass shit like that. I dont know youd think in a situation like this the public would be able to rally some support for the guy who brought to light the bullshit the govt pulls.

But thats why i smoke. So i can.. not.. be pissed.. and numb my brain with its always sunny in philadelphia.

16. So you're saying we don't already?

[​IMG]

17. Its not about smoking weed.  The governmetn will know everysing thing we've done and said, what time we went to bed and the exact time we ate breakfast. NO FREEDOM.

18. #18 Bronx Finest, Jun 10, 2013
    So you're saying we don't already?

</blockquote>Im not saying we don't but if it were legal it would be x1000 worse and its not even that bad, be honest how many hard drugs users do you know? Im not talking about those teenagers on your block who pop pills ACTUAL hard shit like that white substance

19. i can't afford to buy vegetables from the Earth without chemicals changing my genome, or share medicine from the Earth without the threat of jail time.

this place was only free before we entered history, and it won't be free again until we find our way back out. 

20. #20 ArnoldShortman, Jun 10, 2013
    Thats bullshit.

So let's say all drugs became legal tomorrow. Will you start doing heroin,crack,meth etc.?

I doubt it. The only people who will be using it is the people who  are already doing so. Granted a small majority will use it because it is legal but not the vast.

And I know a lot of 'hardcore' drug users but that seems to be irrelevant.