is this possible?

Discussion in 'General' started by Everett, Sep 23, 2012.

1. I have a couple very tiny scratches on the screen of my galaxy s3 gorilla glass 2. You can only see them in direct sunlight and I'm guessing it's probably the coating on the glass. I read that rubbing a bit of toothpaste on the scratches will remove them? Any advice?

2. well since the toothpaste is an abrasive i dont see that being good for the screen.. it might buff out the scratches but id assume it would do that by making a shit load of other scratches

3. Don't do that.

4. Yeah man toothpaste has silica in it as an abrasive to scrape your teeth clean, its not exactly gentle on glass

5. The idea behind that is that the toothpaste just fills in the scratches. It doesn't remove the scratches.

The same holds true for scratched DVDs. You can get them to play by smearing them with lotion and wiping away the excess. Fills in the scratches and allows them to play.

6. So is there any way I can buff out these super tiny scratches? Someone told me to try windex and a paper towel. Does gorilla glass have a coating on top of the glass? Is it possible that that's what's scratched and not the actual glass? How come I can't see the scratches when the screens on and only in certain angles with direct light?

7. I already told you man, it's impossible. Get a screen protector. It will fill in the scratches. If you can afford an S3, you can afford a $10 screen protector :laughing:

8. i wouldnt even worry about it haha..

its obviously a new phone so youre tryna keep it lookin nice an all.. im the same way, but sooner or later youll say 'ehhh fuck it' and not worry about the cosmetics of it.. like with shoes.. ill be so careful not to scuff em up or anything but once i get that first couple scuffs on em i dont give a shit no more..

i wouldnt worry about it.. it wont effect the phone

9. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']I already told you man, it's impossible. Get a screen protector. It will fill in the scratches. If you can afford an S3, you can afford a $10 screen protector :laughing:[/quote]

I just ordered the otterbox commuter case for my s3 off amazon. Will be here in 3 days. What's the best screen protector I can get that will hide the scratches completely? Also not change the quality of the display

10. #10 cookiecrisp, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    One second I'll find the packaging for the one I use and report back. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but it's great

Brand is Skinomi. http://www.skinomi.com/sk11190-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-screen-protector.html

Super clear, but like any other screen protector, a bitch to apply. Just follow the directions and you'll be golden.

11. I'll check it out. I'm not impressed by gorilla glass 2 at all. I've babied this mother fucker. What if I called Samsung and told them my phone wasn't picking up my wifi or some shit. Could I scam my way into getting a brand new S3?

12. Nah Samsung would just tell you to go to your wireless carrier.

I'm actually shocked yours is scratched. My husky picked mine up and chucked it across the room the day after I got it and there's not a mark on mine. This was before I put the screen protector on it. I also regularly put it in the same pocket as my keys.

13. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']Nah Samsung would just tell you to go to your wireless carrier.

I'm actually shocked yours is scratched. My husky picked mine up and chucked it across the room the day after I got it and there's not a mark on mine. This was before I put the screen protector on it. I also regularly put it in the same pocket as my keys.[/quote]

I noticed them the day I started working a construction job. I must have had dirt on my hands or some shit.

14. #14 Everett, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
    Maybe I'll just save some $ and get back new screen put on. I'm Pissed ad fuck that i didn't have a screen protector on since the day I bought it. If I wanted to get a new glass screen what's the process and the cost of that?

15. do any of you know what kinda glass the iphone 4 has on it?

16. Couple of scratches ? Man up . I've rocked shattered screens forrrever, likes a boss hehe .

You're not hooking to have that phone for to long anyways .

They will have the galaxy 5 in less than 2 years

17. Just regular glass. No Gorilla Glass

18. o ok.. just plain ol glass tho?

or is it a certain type?

..i guess this would be a lot easier if i just googled it

19. I just remember them saying it's the same sort of glass that car windows and shit are made out of haha

20. it is called ISP glass. a kin of special glass. 30 times harder than the normal plastic and 20 times fleaxible than plastic.