Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

is this pipe safe to smoke from?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by strawberryfields4eva, Jul 1, 2015.

1. ok so i have this twisty pipe i've had for about 4 months. it's really really dirty (i just wash it with water), there are like tiny old buds stuck everywhere too. is it safe to smoke out of? another issue with this pipe is that it may have glass cracks. like i've dropped it several times, and i see a few small cracks, like if i smoke, will tiny glass pieces go to my lungs? is it safe? thanks!

2. It will taste like shit, maybe not even hit because of the cracks, but it's safe lol. How could glass get into your lungs just because of the cracks.

3. #3 Applerod, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
    1) To properly wash and clean your pipe, fill it with rubbing alcohol (91% or better) and salt (sea salt, kosher salt, or regular salt if you have no sea salt/kosher salt) -- and agitate the pipe. This may require several efforts, but it is effective.
    2) Yes, it's safe to smoke out of. Although in an ideal world every hit would be taken out of a perfectly clean glass vessel, that's unrealistic. Just clean your piece regularly when it gets black and resinated.
    3) It's possible to inhale tiny pieces of glass or glass-like material. That would be bad. However, hairline cracks in the glass are not something I'd worry about. The glass would need to be crushed or broken down into a powder in order for you to be able to inhale it.

4. Since you've dropped this pipe and are concerned about smoking it, please toss it. I think it's extremely unlikely you'll inhale glass, but it's not worth the chance.
    For old timers remember those old glass insert insulated thermoses from the 50's? If you dropped them you worried about the same thing- glass slivers.

5. Rinsing it with water repeatedly and not drying it properly could result in mold growth especially with all the organic material in the pipe. I imagine every time you run water through it the resin gets wet and just sits there until your next use.

6. inhaling shards of glass may be bad for your health. Surgeon's General Warning.

7. No. My friend got silicosis because of inhaling tiny bits of glass from a broken pipe. This was five years ago, and he couldn't smoke ever since.