Is this over-watering or under-watering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by opiod, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Hey everyone! First time grower here, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

I'm growing indoors in a tent, but I'm not super confident on my watering skills, and I'm not sure if I'm over-watering, or under-watering my plant(s).

I have 3 plants growing (just entering the veg phase), and 2 of them look pretty normal - green leaves, no discoloration (except on the cotyledons), but one of my plants looks like the leaves are starting to wrinkle on the lower portion:

https://ibb.co/QcnYw8T

I'm using fabric pots, and I was watering daily, but not a lot. Just enough to dampen the soil around the plant - from the stem to about 3-4" away, and enough to get the first few inches moist. By the next morning, the soil would be mostly dry, so I'd repeat the process.

I didn't water this plant yesterday for fear I may be over-watering, but it looks like it's getting a little worse on the leaves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. How old is the plant, what is your medium, and what size pots are they in?

3. I planted the seeds on September 10th, they sprouted by the 15th, and now they're each in a 5 gallon grow bag. Medium is soil (fox farm). Strain is unknown/bag seed.

4. well usually on a bag seed you wait and sex it before putting it into 5 gallon pots in case they are male you can always hope for the best i guess

5. That's fair, but I wouldn't mind a male plant so I can harvest the pollen and seed plants so I don't have to keep purchasing.

Any ideas if I'm over or under-watering?

6. no not without pictures

7. If you're in soil then lift the pot. Just lift the edge and tilt it. If it's light then water. If it's heavy don't.

You'll quickly get used to understanding the weight of your pots and how much water they hold.

8. Link to the picture is in the first post, but here it is again: https://ibb.co/QcnYw8T

Yeah, I should learn the weight difference for sure. I just put these into the 5 gallon pots on Friday, so I'm legit still very new to all of this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fox Farm is a compost................. Not dirt , not soil ........
    Almost everything in a compost soaks up water/moisture.

COMPOST = nutrients .................
    Dirt/soil = minerals

Unless you added in perlite sand or gravel most likely your what is called over watering, which BS because hydroponic growers grow in water.
    Difference is roots need water oxygen and nutrients
    when over watering happens the roots do not have oxygen .

10. Happy Frog® Potting Soil - FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer Company

That's what I'm using. Do I need to add perlite to this?

My soil tester shows that halfway down the pot is "dry+", while the top is "dry", though I can clump it together without it falling apart, so there is some moisture in there. Should I wait for the top soil to dry out then water until it starts draining from the bottom?

Soil ph is between 6.8 and 7, depending on where I test.

Temperature ranges from 78F - 81F, with humidity level between 48% and 55%

I did just order some Tiger Bloom, Grow Big, and Liquid Plant Food just in case I need to start adding nutrients as well (only been using water at this point), and ph down as well as I've read that the ph level should be around 6.5 and sometimes the symptoms I'm seeing are because of that.

11. . Ingredients: Composted forest humus, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, earthworm castings, bat guano, humic acid (derived from Leonardite), oyster shell and dolomite lime (for pH adjustment).

Its compost ,, no dirt no soil .

12. Okay, so why is it marketed as "potting soil" then?

But regardless, if all you're going to do is ignore my questions, why bother responding? I'm trying to learn here, I'm not looking for trolling comments.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Not my fault you don't know the difference between compost and soil .
    Water doesn't drain through compost like soil, if you think your over or under watering KNOWING what your grow medium is super important ..

Garden Soil Vs Potting Soil: Why It Matters (harpersnurseries.com)

• Agree Agree x 1