Is this over watering? Need advice please.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Timmah, May 19, 2019.

1. Hi guys and gals,

First time grower here, have been struggling to get these ladies thriving properly. Do these plants look over-watered? Or is something else causing the curled leaves etc. Feeding them at 6.5PH along with liquid nutrients mixed in with their water. They are currently 5 weeks old and have been displaying droopiness on and off for about 3 weeks now! I cannot seem to keep them in the sweet spot! Any advice and opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. Yes, the first two pics you provided look like an advanced case of over-watering. The deficiencies have already started kicking in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. What size pots are they in and how often and how much are you watering?

4. Thanks for the quick reply, i had a feeling it may have been overwatering. When i check the soil the top inch is dry, but the 2nd inch seems slightly moist, but not damp. I have heard the roots like to really dry out before the next water, is this true? I have been watering every 2nd day at this point in time.

Also these 4 are under a 1000w HPS at the moment (1 foot away from the tops of the plants), temps sitting between 21-29 degress celcius. (If this information helps with the diagnosis). Thanks again.

5. The tray you have them in doesn't look like you're getting a lot of runoff. If you were overwatering I'd expect to see it look more wet with some mineral deposits, so it is wet at times or is it always dry?

One foot from a 1000w HPS sounds a bit close.

6. Currently in 6L pots, watering every 2nd day with about 600ml of water at a Ph of 6.5

7. That seems really close for a 1000w may want to either raise lights or lower plants if sitting up on something.

8. Trays are dry at the moment (Havent watered for 48 hours) but generally when i water the plants the trays will fill up with about 15mm of water, Which is then gone after about 24 hours. (I think the 1000w HPS evaporates a lot of it maybe?)

9. That may be the reason the 3rd pic looks a bit "crispy". May want to raise those lights some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ive had the same thoughts myself, but i have done the hand test and it doesnt feel uncomfortable to have my hands where the top of the plants are. However im happy to take all advice on board and change things around, because clearly what im doing is not working very well. What distance would you reccomend for the light?

11. Screenshot_20190519-000419_Chrome.jpg

12. Possibly light stress causing that crispiness and leaf twisting you think? Looks like raising the light is on the cards then. Currently at 1 foot away, i will move it to 2 foot away and see if things improve.

13. Looking into it a bit more to me its light burn. I know with my 600w hps I've stayed in the 16in to 18in range with 3 fans on all the time, one is on top of my room blowing out of the room, one is on the floor blowing through the bottoms of my plants and the 3rd is pointed right at the light. Without them I've had leaves start curling and room got to almost 96 degrees F.

14. Thanks mate, i will move it out to 40cm for the time being and see if this helps improve the health of them. Would you also agree that they are over watered?

15. I would say 20 to 22 in, may hit the lights sweet spot in that range. Also if your spraying the plants remember to not leave droplets gathering on them, it will cause light burn spots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. If you have 15mm of water in that tray every other day then you probably are watering too often.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I
    Okay i definitely need to adjust the light then, as for fans i have 2 exhaust pulling out the top, 2 intakes blowing across the bottom and a oscialting fan blowing at the light. Can light burn cause even the green healthy looking leaves to curl down? Or thats a watering issue?

18. Okay would you say its the right amount of water though? Just too often?

There are 2 plants per tray which create the 15mm runoff in the tray.

19. Kinda hard to say really, I would raise the light and water as needed. If first inch or so is dry I would water slowly just until it starts draining through. The 1st couple picks look better then the last one. Just baby them and watch how there doing over the next few days.

20. Looks like either over watered or heat stress, both look alot alike

• Like Like x 1