Is this normal for cannaoil?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Ashley768, Feb 24, 2022.

?

Is this good to use?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Is there anyway at all to tell if thats mold or something else bad? What should i do just throw away or risk it? Lol i dunno

2. I would say the best way to figure it out. Touch the stuff at the bottom with a knife and if it breaks into small partials right away it’s probably mold. If it pushes and acts more like butter it’s probably solidified oil. I personally think it looks kinda weird on bottom left but it’s up to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yea i thought so to ive never seen this stuff before so dont know the spots in it look like mini shiney mushrooms forreal like identical to mushrooms to be exact lol. Im weird when it comes to dirt, mold, germs, etc though so if it was legit up to me id toss anything and everything my mind tells me is weird which would lead to alot of good stuff being tossed which is why im here lol.

4. Hi Ashley ,welcome to gc.
    I've used coconut oil that had melted in store and seperated, it might be coconut.
    Also, if the white stuff is under liguid,can it be mold? I thought mold needed some air to grow?

5. Pure unadulterated Coconut oil is one of the better long storage oils as it is naturally high in antimicrobial properties. If all that is in the jar is Coconut oil that has had Cannabis cooked in it then strained your safe.
    Reheat the jar and see if all your "blooms" dissipate as things warm up.

It looks like the bottom of the jar is on a cold shelf below 76 F degrees while the upper half is in warmer air and above 76 F. When the temps are just right I can get that sort of appearance.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. upload_2022-2-24_7-53-11.png
    This is the last batch of coconut oil extracts we made. Its a solid at room temperature, but can melt pretty quickly, so its stored in the fridge, and later in the freezer. It is not a liquid at all. This picture was taken after the water/oil was left in the fridge overnight. This is the top half, meaning it solidified and I popped it out of the pot it was in, leaving the water layer in the bottom (which was discarded).
    Again, you can place your extract in the fridge and let it solidify and note if that residue/chunks stays there. If it does, heat the extracts on the stove, add a cup or two of water, then cool the solution in the fridge (let it cool to room temperature before placing in the fridge). The next day, you should be able to pop out the extracts (the top layer).

7. I'm sitting here looking at that as my morning Hash Capsules starts kicking my ass and wondering how much of that I'd need for my daily 75mg hit??
    What is the ratio of Cannabis to Oil?

[​IMG]

The single zero capsules I use hold a max of .68 ml and figure the kief displaces some of that volume so it's under 1/2 a ml of Coconut oil required for my medical dose lets call it.

BNW

8. Ill try that and see what happens if its mold itll stay floating around just broken up right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yes, although I can't see that much mold growing in just a few days.

BNW

10. Yea usually mold takes 7 days to even start forming but nothing in the worlds usual anymore. Everythings fucked

11. After talking with my wife ( Fine Cook) she says it is just Coconut oil changing state. She has observed the same "Blooms" and odd formations as well. Heating or cooling to get it well past the phase change point of 76 degrees will either fully harden or melt away all the "Funny" formations your seeing. It's a Coconut oil thing.

BNW

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ok awesome thanks a bunch because i literally put two strains in totaling about 21gs so itd suck to toss.

• Like Like x 3
  13. hi there just joined in because i have EXACTLY the same problem and just tossed 2 bottles -then found your page and decided to try something. i poured a bottle out to get the crap out of the bottom - and i set it on fire. - it melted -i think it's coconut oil solidified and i'm going to warm my bottles to find out

14. i missed that answer - woah- ya, i got like 75 gms of med in the cuboard in bottles - shite! right. Thanks all

• Like Like x 1