Is This Mix good Enough for my Medium?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by kreempiee, Apr 12, 2020.

1. hey guys im working on my first grow (Mephisto genetics autoflower) and decided to go with a coco coir medium.

after doing my research ive come up with:

-Canna coco coir in a 5 gallon pot with 30% perlite

- buffered with calMag

-mixed with alfalfa meal and kelp meal

-watered with Recharge once planted

-Megacrop Fed through out seed to harvest

- Bud explosion Fed after Veg Stage

What're your thoughts on the plan?

do you guys recommend i add any more nutes or additives?

2. I wouldn't put those amendments in with coco. Your mixing soil growing products with coco which is best treated as hydro growing. If you mix those in you'll have no control over what, when and how much is released.
    I've also got a bit of experience growing autos with MegaCrop and some of them just can't stand the high levels of nitrogen in that product. Also believe it or not the Bud Explosion is not meant to be mixed with MegaCrop. They market MegaCrop as a complete mix no adding anything needed. Anyway if you mix them you'll have way too much K and that will cause lockout problems. Trust me on this part I learned it the hard way.
    If you want a simple first grow use a pre buffered coco like Canna, Canna also has a great nutrient line designed for coco growing, very easy but a bit expensive to run their whole line.
    Or grab a bottle of Armour si, Calimagic, and a bag of Maxibloom or the GH trio.

Nice choice on the Mephistos what do you have in mind?

• Like Like x 3
  3. strawberry nuggets and Double grape. i was thinking of doing one feed of bud explosion separately from the mega crop. just very lost on what to mix my coco with for my seedling. it will be run in a 5 gallon in a 2x2x5.5 with a qb 135w v2 Rspec

4. I run straight coco with 10% perlite in my final containers, heavier on the perlite in small starter cups. I strongly recommend not amending your coco with anything other than perlite. You can start seedlings with the MegaCrop at 180 - 200 ppm for the first week or so and go up slowly from there. Here's one of my last Mephistos Forum Stomper
    20191219_234508.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Also I'd consider smaller containers , are you growing both in the 2×2 ? The plant pictured above is in a 2 gallon container.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AMAZING! what nutes did you run with that grow? im not expexcting much of a yeild with my grow, ive been told it can only get to 2-3oz Max

• Like Like x 1
  7. im just growing one in the tent atm. thinking of going 3 gallon

• Like Like x 1
  8. You can drop a 20ouncer in 3gal of coco mate. And thats just autos. Can get way more than that if you veg a photo for 2 months. Stop listening to soil growers lol.

Coco is hydroponics. It's designed to be fed mass volumes of liquid nutes all day every day.
    It doesn't break stuff down like soil does so putting amendments in it will fuck you up pretty much every time.

What happens in coco if you don't water enough volume is that you get salt build up. It knackers the ph and burns the plants.
    If you put dry amendments In it you have to give it a dry cycle like soil. .that causes the salt build up but you cant flush the salts away or you'll just make the amendments stronger.
    So straight away were snookered.
    Have to just decide which type of burn you want to put up with and just hope for the best.

Just use liquid nutes mate. Unless that all sounds fun to you lol.
    Cocos easy though man.
    Just feed quarter strength nutes at the right ph. Every day to run off and it's fairly hard to go wrong.
    All there is to it really:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. That's a good plan. 3 gallon is more than enough for an auto in coco. Here's a resource for growing in coco Cannabis Grow Guide - Coco For Cannabis - Science and Practice
    I find these guys to be really heavy handed with the cal/mag but other than that it's a decent guide.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Did you remove the growth colas that grow off the main colas?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. You can do better than that . I used Maxibloom with some Calimagic and Armour Si . It's one of the cheapest easiest nutrient programs out there

12. No, I did have to cut a few whole branches off, as it was getting crowded. There's 2 phenotypes of the Forum stompers this one is the "branches on branches " the breeders nickname, lol

13. tryna avoid the high salt content in liquids (doing organic grow_
    Im basing my recipe off this video

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. To be fair mate I'm actually quite impressed with that. Literally every other person I've seen put amendments in coco gets mediocre results at best and a grow full of dramas.
    He's pretty good though. Been at this 5 years now and never seen anyone do even close to that well in this sort of grow.
    Just bear in mind you gotta copy exactly what he does.
    Thank you for showing me something new buddy. I'll admit when I'm beat and that guys got this shit sussed.
    Goes against everything we learn as coco growers but fuck sometimes things just work anyway :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. thank you sir! he is pretty slept on imo. do you think in should buffer with cal mag before i put those additives in?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Just do whatever he's doing mate. It's an unusual method so best not to stray too far off track.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Id certainly avoid taking advice from coco growers such as myself though.
    It really doesn't make sense what he's doing there. In the slightest lol.
    Clearly works though so if you do find you need some help I'd stick to using organic growers.
    It won't make much sense to many of them iether but they're better equipped for the knowledge set imo.

When we see these types of grows it's usually a dude called Mr canuk that they follow and it goes wrong every single time.
    You'll be onto a winner if you follow this guy though mate.
    I won't be much use but start a journal and I'll sub up anyway. Would love to see how it works out for ya man.

its best to start a journal and just keep it all in one place. Folk lose interest if you keep posting hundreds of threads asking daft questions but tend to be happy to put the leg work in to figure things out when it's all in one thread. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. i certainly will! thank you for your interests. its just a headache bc everyone recommends something different everytime i ask. lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. You would be better off following the Lucas formula, the H3ad method, or my Masterblend 4-18-38 schedule. All proven with killer results. What you’re about to attempt will leave you on tour own as far as help is concerned. It’s just not an advisable method to grow in. Coco is meant for small pots and multiple feeds daily while being an inert medium. I foresee issues with adding amendments and feeding nutes, and nobody will be able to help

• Like Like x 1
  20. i was just tryna go for a more organic grow rather than using liquid nutes