Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

is this mental health problems caused by weed or is it just a side effect of too much weed/thc?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Fenryx, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Hi, i am smoking for a few months now daily. Btw, i have alot of anxiety problems (social anxiety/derealization/panic attacks since childhood.

i am smoking regularly at least once a day but tolerance is still pretty low.

here is the problem, and if any of you can tell me whether or not this is caused by too much thc for my tolerance or just because i get too much stress in my daily life lately/mixed with anxiety problems and weed amplify this? maybe just weed+anxiety makes me act like this?

Well, everytime i smoke i tend to think about things in my life that gives me alot of anxiety,

ex: Lets say i had a small fight with a friend and i get alot anxious about it, when i smoke weed i tend to overthink alot about theses things with my anxiety and all but weed seems to make it worse, sometimes i think about what this person really thinks of me by over analysing the situation and then i kind of get anxious about it and i start believing everything that i think when im high if that makes sense, and when im sober i still believe this things that i over-analysed when high.

I dont know if this happen to anybody else or not, and if over analysing a situation or what people thinks of you when smoking weed and even more when i smoke alone because i have more free time to think about theses things : /

is believing what you think when high a side effect of mental problems like anxiety or does it happen to anybody or because im smoking too much or just getting too much stress for many things theses days. Should i just take a beak and wait till anxiety is less present then smoke or should i just stop if it seems to affect me this way? can anyone help. What do you think?

2. I think it's all the stuff you mentioned in the first sentence

• Like Like x 1
  3. You a teenager? Most of 'em have problems with depression and anxiety and shit.

I'll tell ya this.

Weed will amplify almost any "nervous" situation your in with anxiety.

Without anxiety, you give no fucks at all, and it's awesome. I can still get anxious for no reason, but that's all in your head. It's sort of a survival mechanism to overthink/be weary of negative situations. That's all in your head, so whenever it happens, tell your head to stfu. Also just stop giving a fuck.

If you're under 20, don't worry, you'll probably grow out of it soon. 16-18 was my prime age for anxiety. If you're over 20, I think therapy may be beneficial.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hi, thank you for answering, yeah i am in my 20's. i enjoy my high when have no anxiety and this makes me sad has i like smoking weed too but i have anxiety for absolutely everything for no reason and its not fun smoking when this happen :/ but weed actually helped me to understand my anxiety better. do you think it would be best for me to take a break and wait till less anxiety or just stop completly?

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Dr. Natty Light, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Well, I never took a break and I got out of my terribly anxious and super depressed phase. I just decided to stop caring what other people think... there's some basic knowledge I learned in one of my GE psych class, which is the spotlight effect. I'm not sure if you're aware on what it is, but overall: people notice you/what you wear a LOT less than you think.

But yes, the overanalyzing situations (such as the argument with a friend) is definitely anxiety.

You just gotta push through it, remember, by the end of the day, does what you do or say really matter? (small things, of course)

I come onto this forum and make an ass out of myself nightly, but you just gotta tell yourself you're cool and you'll think everyone feels the same way :biggrin: (nah, I'd like to say I'm decently liked here ;) )

I know my pseudo "bro" science is not the best and I probably did a really shitty job of explaining it, but focus on yourself first :)

Remember: absolutely no one is perfect, and their judgements really mean nothing. Let loose, friend

6. Cannabis is just a catalyst which follows a sort of GIGO mechanism.
    (Garbage in, Garbage out)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. It's got less to do with the weed and more to do with you. You just have to stop overanalyzing things. For one, weed increases your heart rate. Our psychological mindstate is determined by our physical state. So youre probably experiencing more anxiety simply because your heart is racing and your mind is trying to justify it by giving you something to be anxious about. So you have to remind yourself that your body is experiencing something and you have to be careful how your mind interprets that.

As far as the actual anxious thoughts, just let them go. Allow yourself to physically feel, but don't try to explain or rationalize it in your mind. Don't beat yourself about overthinking, but don't dwell either. As soon as you realize you're having an anxious thought, just let it drift away. You don't need to be anxious to live, you don't have to worry about whatever is troubling you- you just have to remind yourself of that, and let yourself relax. If it's that big of a deal, you can reflect on it calmly and objectively, preferably in another mindstate (when you aren't physically anxious about it anymore).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thank you very much Dr. Natty Light and cannasoup this makes alot of sense and was informative. i will work on that and will try to stop thinking too much what people think and overthink things and just chill out :)

9. Meditate, it may sound religious, but it really isn't. You can sit in a chair.. close your eyes, relax, and focus on your breathing. Do that for five minutes, then try and smoke. If it continues, I wouldn't know the answer. You can control what you think, negative, or positive, at least I can. Don't dwell on your past if it's negative, what happened, happened, and that's it. Focus on /you/, and develop a future for yourself. Just a little help and inspiration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Good idea I will def try this. i used to meditate a year or two ago but i stopped. i will try it before smoking and see if that help. :)

11. To stop dwelling on past events, open your mind to your present awareness and look forward with future-oriented perspectives. Lingering thoughts of self criticisms and egotistical snap judgments don't need to weigh so heavily on the head unless a guilty conscience traps it there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1