Is this LST ok?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by benqtinu, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Hard to tell exactly what's going on. It looks slightly that you may have pinned only leaves down and not the shoots, but I'm not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I pinned the big fan leaves so the little shoots get a chance to grow. I'm planing on keeping them as low as i can.

3. Heres a good example of mine

Attached Files:

4. Yeah you did fine then, but if this is an auto don't mess with it much more than this.

5. @howando , I thought that autos handled well LST?

6. The problem with autos is that they have a fixed, limited life span. This means if you damage it at all, if you stunt the growth, there is no extra time for it to recover and the plant is permanently stunted. That makes any kind of plant training high-risk. For the same reason, there's limited time for your LST interventions to have a positive effect.

If you want to play around as a beginner, get a photoperiod. If you've grown a few autos before and you can keep a plant alive through to harvest, by all means play with some LST, but if you're a beginner with an auto I would strongly recommend you sit back and watch it grow, just gaining the experience of the grow conditions.

7. I think the same however I believe that some LST at the start of flowering might be really good as the lateral sprouts are still quite young and can bend easily

8. Yes, its fine. The plant really isn't large enough to even start training though. Looks like an Indica based strain so that means tight nodes and slow growth. They are a more short bushy plant. Pull your light source further away from the plant for a few days and this will force the plant to stretch some and give you a bit more length to work with. But honestly, there's not really much you can do in the way of changing the growth of this plant. It's going to be a tight bush and the quality of light you grow it with...and strength of wattage, will determine what you get in the way of a harvest. If this ISN'T an auto variety (and I hope you're not wasting valuable space, light and time on those (LOL), you should always start them in a very small container. We use Solo cups. The less soil that the plant has to build a root system into, the less time it takes it to get that part done and get back to growing foliage above the soil. When you put one in soil, you don't touch it again until the container it's growing in feels dead dry when you pick it up. These plants hate having their roots sitting in moisture all the time which is why we use the soil that is chocked full of perlite....to get that super great drainage, which also gives the roots ease of movement to spread all around the container. Bigger root ball, better plant. Starting a seedling or clone out in a container the size you've got yours planted in means that it probably took that plant a good 2 weeks or more just to get it's roots in place and back to growing and it probably still hasn't used up the water you initially put in when planting. But start them small and only repot when the plant outgrows the container (plant gets wider and taller than the container it's growing in), to something a bit larger but nothing crazy different in size. Keeping your plant and container sizes relative as they come through veg is the quickest way to get growth overall on the plant. We take clones for resupplying the flower rooms 2 weeks before projected harvest. By the time the two weeks are up, the clones have rooted and are planted in soil in Solo cups...or 1 gal. pots depending on how large the clones are, and they will get 10 weeks under the veg lighting. During those 10 weeks, I top a couple of times only since the more tops per plant, the less size you get per top and usually repot a couple of times ending up in 5 gallon buckets for flower. Our plants are usually around 4 ft. tall by the time they go into the flower room and have 4 to 6 tops each. We put tomato cages on them when they go into the flower room so we don't have to disturb buds later when they become heavy with resin and need support.

How successful your attempt at an indoor grow will be is determined by the quality and strength of lighting you provide PER PLANT during the flower cycle. Better lighting...better harvest in the end, plain and simple. Each individual plant needs enough wattage, correct spectrum and plenty of space for light to penetrate the canopy without being crowded and shaded by other plants. If you only have flower lighting strong enough to flower a single plant, you'll get more by only flowering a single plant since you can always get more off a plant that gets all the light it needs and is tended properly than you get by flowering 3 in the same space...just for the sake of flowering more plants. Read up and study (proven legit info) on all aspects of the indoor grow, but spend time learning the basics of tending the plant. You can have a grow palace, but if you can't keep the plant alive and healthy, you'll still not get anything much at harvest time. Best of luck to you. TWW

• Like Like x 1