Is this light good enough for 1 plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LARob, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Is this light strong enough to grow just 1 plant?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did some reading and read that it takes around 100 watts to grow 1 plant, does this light have 26 watts or 100? If you look closely there is a comparison claiming that 26 watts of this light equals to 100 watts

2. Yes, that chart means the lumen/watt ratio is the same as a 100 watt incandescent bulb. That means it has the same light output as a 100 watt incandescent, but only uses 26. So to have 100 actual watts, you'd need 4 of those bulbs.

3. No that is a 26w bulb, you need a few more. I would get 4 or 5 for one plant if you have enough room for that many bulbs.

4. It's crazy, I took two cfls and two bulbs, I planted two seeds to see how far one cfl could carry the plants...they got to be sweet little bushes..I was very very surprised ..but as far as flowering goes it would have never cut it.

5. Thanks although your answer is kind of confusing at the end. You are telling me I need 4 of these? or that it acts as 4 normal bulbs?

I just need enough watts to grow 1 small autoflower plant

6. The general rule of thumb when using CFLs is 100 actual watts for one plant, and then 50 additional watts for each additional plant (So 100 for one plant, 150 for two, 200 for three, and so on).

That bulb you have uses 26 actual watts, but the brightness (to the human eye, not a plant) is equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb. It acts as one bulb but uses a quarter of the power.

So yes, in order to have 100 actual watts for your plant, you'll need four of those bulbs, totaling 104 watts. More light is always better though, as long as you can keep the heat down. What kind of setup are you planning on?

Does that answer make more sense?

7. yeah, and that sucks because there really isnt room for 4 bulbs in my grow area. Are there more compact ones? I got this one for free so it's not much of a loss.

8. If you have limited space I'd recommend you go with a single high-output CFL. They come in much higher wattage than what you can find at Home Depot or Lowe's. I think you need a ballast for them though...I don't think they make high-output bulbs that are self-ballasted. If you don't mind spending a little money I think that might be the way to go.

How big is your grow space?

Something like this is what I'm thinking of...
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Feliz-Watt-Grow-Light-2700K/dp/B003EWN904/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328499395&sr=8-6]Amazon.com: Feliz 125 Watt CFL Grow Light 2700K: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

9. They make some pretty cool high output cfls, how much spaCe?

10. well I dont have anything to measure at the moment but I will compare it with a powerade bottle, and thanks for replying, you have been more than helpful.

[​IMG]

11. Hmm...looks like you're doing a micro grow. Check out the Micro Growing forum, they can probably help you out a lot more than I can. I'm assuming this is a nightstand or something? If so, you could modify that drawer to hold the lights. I did that as an experiment when I was still trying to figure out my setup, and it worked really well actually. You also should line the inside with something...I'd do Panda film.

Is this going to be a stealth grow? Cause if not I think something could be rigged up pretty easily in the ceiling of that thing.

Ventilation will also be important with this box. Do you have anything planned for that yet? I think this box could be really nice if you do it right.

12. #12 LARob, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
    well im a first timer and I hardly have any idea what to do, it's really frustrating I just want to have it done already.

Basically I have a personal fan, mylar paper, and this small cabinet sort of thing. I am not sure how the circulation would work, would I need to cut some holes with fans coming out?

EDIT:Also this is supoosed to be stealthy too so Im going to get some odor remover as well.

13. It can be very frustrating at times, especially after you work on something for hours and it ends up not going the way you want it to. This just happened to me yesterday making a cool tube.

Definitely check out the Micro Growing forum, there's probably some setups very similar to what you have in mind. Good luck man! And remember, the more work you put into your setup, not taking shortcuts, the more you'll thank yourself later for the hard work. It's worth it in the end to do it right.

14. No that light won't be enough. You need to go by the actual wattage rating.
    For ventilation you'll need to use a fab blowing out. Place it high so it blows out the hot air. Then you just have vent holes down low so fresh air can flow in, but you'll need to build light traps for those. You'll also need a fan circulating air around the room. Soil, coco, hydro? Sorry not trying to pick on you but you need to read some more. Here's a good place to start.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/757288-microgrows-box.html

15. There are micro cfls, it uses smaller diameter glass and spirals more, its maybe an inch shorter and a little skinnier. Use 100 actuall watts, but 26 is fine for 2 weeks if you wanna get a jump start on it.. Have a 4-6" outtake pc fan at the top and passive intake holes at the bottom, mix 40% perlite with your dirt in a wide shallow pot. Water when top inch.5 is crusty. Lots of water very slowly... Keep lights 2 inches or closer to the plants. 18/6 light cycle for 2-6 weeks dependant upon space. Flip to 12/12 light cycle after a 48 hour dark period. Use 1/4 solution of nutrients at about week 3, and gradually increase solution as needed every other watering or 2. Germinate seeds in a wet paper towel in the dark, when tap root is about half inch plant it 1/4 inch in dirt with light on 24/7 until first leaf set emerges. That about covers all the questions you should have for a while

16. [quote name='"LARob"']Is this light strong enough to grow just 1 plant?

I did some reading and read that it takes around 100 watts to grow 1 plant, does this light have 26 watts or 100? If you look closely there is a comparison claiming that 26 watts of this light equals to 100 watts[/quote]

The 26 watt fluorescent light has the same light output as a 100 watt regular bulb. I'm sure you know this but the one you have is fluorescent and the one you need. You need 100 watts of fluorescent so you'll need about 4 more of those man. If I did the math right sorry kinda high an tired but yeah

17. Oh autoflower you said? Keep it 18/6 dont go 12/12...

18. [quote name='"Pina cola"']Oh autoflower you said? Keep it 18/6 dont go 12/12...[/quote]

Idk if this is right because I don't grow yet and didn't research it too much yet but can't you leave an auto flower on a 24/7 light cycle to get the most of your plant or would this not work? Maybe would put stress on the plant?

19. Autoflowers can get 24 hours of light from seed to harvest. Some people think the plant needs to sleep, others don't. It can be done either way though.

Are you planning on spending money on this grow box or are you trying to go as cheap and DIY as possible?

20. Doesnt really matter, 18-6 just allows for the box to cool down a little, and if your kwph is as high as mine, those 6 hours make a big differance in the bill. Thats why im not using high wattage lights. But 24/7 is fine.. I have seen no differsnce in plant growth for the 2 cycles