Is this life actually purgatory?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ooogapi, Apr 1, 2016.

1. I was smoking some heavy Hollywood Pure Kush when I thought of this idea and would l8ve some feedback.

In my opinion, Purgatory is a place where we basically just wait out our time, a place where we will never be satisfied. I have (for some time now) looked at life as a transitional stage and our bodies as vessels for (let's call it) our Soul. We are transitioning from what was (before birth) to what will be (after death). The state we are in now, obviously, neither of those, so what state are we in? We have absolutely no knowledge of what came before, or comes after.

Purgatory, in the Christian ideology (excuse my oversimplification) , is a place where our Soul goes to wait until our Soul is admitted into heaven. In purgatory it is a concept of elongated limbo. I imagine a scene like that of Tantalus of Greek Mythology. Although his story was of eternal punishment, for this purpose we will imagine a beginning and an end. Tantalus was said to have been forced to stand in a pool of fresh water beneath a fruit tree. Everytime he would bend down to try and take a drink the water would recede, likewise everytime he reached up to take a bite of fruit to quench his thirst, the fruit would be ever eluding him.

The key here is satisfaction. Tantalus was never truly, and could never be, satisfied. In purgatory thefe is no true satisfaction. In life there is no true satisfaction. We always want more no matter what it is. Those who say they are content are lying. No one is ever content. If you think they are, ask them if they would accept $5 if you just handed it to them. If we are never truly satisfied with life, then by all accounts we are forever in torment (of course by "forever" I mean for our known existence. Being in this constant state of anguish and unsatisfaction could potentially mean we are either in "hell" or in purgatory. Since I think the presence of love, caring, and positive morality, among other positive aspects of the human nature, properly dissuades the notion that we are currently existing in a "hell" state. Likewise, the consistency of pain, suffering, and unequivical unsatisfaction, must prove that this is not "heaven" or a utopian state of existence. I therefore came to the conclusion that purgatory is the only viable state our Soul is currently in.

Thoughts?
    (I typed this from my tablet so please excuse spelling and grammatical errors)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  2. Edit: take a bite of fruit to quench his hunger

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Lol just edit your post and don't say nuthin

Using this definition
    Purgatory : a state after death according to Roman Catholic belief in which the souls of people who die are made pure through suffering before going to heaven.

I think it safe to say that ya, life's something like that. Except when we die there isn't a heaven...there's a non-duality that we are returning to. It's where we are all from, it is pure because it knows no other. The Tao that can be said is not the eternal Tao.

I feel we're here to experience, love, and expand our consciousness. We are here to serve others, contradictory isn't it. But what isn't in this dual nature?

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. If this is purgatory, where were we before?

Some here reach self-actualization.
    I am content. Life is good.
    :smoke:

• Like Like x 3
  5. I think your idea makes sense however; I've come to believe recently that we're put here to give glory to God, as well as help those less fortunate than ourselves. I think it is through those actions that we should find our satisfaction in life. I believe that is our path to salvation and if we can follow that path we'll never have to experience purgatory or hell. Easier said than done of course, but I've also realized recently that success is sort of like one big illusion. It's all relative in my opinion and I think to be successful in life one simply has to live as God intended, rather than build yourself this great career and amass a whole bunch of money

6. What is God and what glory does he need? What about serving those who are more fortunate than ourselves? They need help at times too, right? Why judge at all who is above or below?

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. I believe that God is my creator and he doesn't need glory he's already glorified in his kingdom. Also I do serve someone more fortunate than myself 5 days a week he's called my boss. I try not to judge anyone but to me it's pretty clear who needs help and who doesn't. I don't even want to go to college anymore to become say a doctor or lawyer because I've realized now that amassing as much wealth for myself as I can in this world won't mean anything when I'm dead and gone. I'd much rather live my life in the name of God

• Like Like x 1
  8. I agree with you metaphorically , but I fear you are speaking in literal terms.

• Like Like x 1
  9. no this is hell. a high dimension of hell, but there is a separation between us and God (and really everything until we move past the illusion)

• Like Like x 1
  10. maybe it's just what we realize it to be

• Like Like x 1
  11. This lifes is what you make it :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. I don't know, but I think life is beautiful and something to appreciate and enjoy. Live every day like it's your last. Soak it in. Love, laugh, smoke, fuck, eat, experience it all while you can. Who knows what's on the other side.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I love thinking about this kinda shit. People I know get scared or something. Its like.. Weird to think. I blame the fluoride water. I don't mess with it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Grasscity Forum mobile app