Is This Heat Stress???

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by MD to NC, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Here's a pic of my Easy Ryder day 10. Notice the slight curl on the leaves. I took this pic while it was still under 2x26w CFL. Temps were 79. Based on pics I've researched, it may be heat stress, but I don't see how. Maybe something else, or am I just paranoid? All help would be appreciated, thanks.
    IMAG0494.jpg

2. Looks like overwatering to me. Is that wood in your soil? I just had to replace all my soil because of wood causing overwatering.

3. It looks like heat stress to me overwatering cause the leaves to droop but they look like they are twisting you should have a fan blowing over the tops of your plants to move warm air away from the lights and plants if you go to Walmart they sell $5 4" fans cheap and don't take up a lot of space that is what I use for my set up my leaves started showing the same things on seedlings and older plants but once I put a fan they were back to growing normally

4. And maybe a bit of under watering leaf edges tend to curl up with under watering because the plant is trying to save moister in the leaves but I am not sure how often do you water? Soil? Container size?

It looks like my plants have a similar problem, what do you think my plants are dealing with?

View attachment 1512314
    View attachment 1512313
    View attachment 1512312

6. 2 gal pots. Water when they need it, usually every three days. FFOF.

7. Well your watering schedule seems fine but a 2 gallon pot for a 10 day old seedling it may be a little much for your plant because FFOF does sometimes burn seedlings especially if it's in to big of a container, there is to many available nutrients. I use same soil with my seedlings and start them in 0.75 gallon pot and at 2 1/2 weeks one seedling showed same thing the soil is just to "hot" once they get established a little better in that big of pot they should be fine but watch the seedling just in case you need to do an emergency transplant into a smaller container you never know. But until you the roots get established properly for the soil when you water don't water the whole pot just around the seedling gently watering the whole pot makes the plant have all the nutrients available from all the soil to much for it to know what to do with and leaving to much water available for the plant you should almost starve your plant of water which makes the roots stretch to find a source of water so only water the base of the seedling and a little bit of the surrounding area and still water till there's 10-20% water run off from the plant and I still recommend getting the fan from Walmart 79 is getting to hot but a small fan will solve that small heat issue

8. How often do you water? Pot size? Temp? Lights? Do you have a fan blowing over your canopy as well? Nutes? Soil?

Medium : universal soil
    Indoors
    Skunk #1
    \nPot size is 2 gallons, not very much 
    No fertilizers
    No fan blowing over my canopy
    Temp : 25C so that's about 77F
    \nI guess around 8 weeks old
    200W CFL
    More than 10" away from the light
    Normal tap water, watering happens whenever I feel the soil is dry, so that means about every 3 days

10. #10 Sammyy, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    How close are your lights? See that leaf on the right? It's a little hard to see from that angle but it looks like its tacoing, when the side of the fingers fold up and look like a taco. Move your lights a half an inch or a full inch up and see what happens

I've seen worse though if it's only a leaf here and there tacoing I wouldn't worry too much just because with cfls closeness is key so if the tacoing ain't too bad I would let it go in return for the closeness of the bulbs but you won't know how bad it will be until it keeps on growing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. I would get a $5 fan from Walmart you'll notice a difference in plant growth just because of constant air movement might be the problem only other thing I can think of is ph is off in your soil or water and it's causing root lock out so I would test the ph before it gets worse or you'll lose your plant if you use tap water 48 hours left out before use you can check the hardness and the average ph of the water in your area online to

Well, I'm on a very tight budget so I can't afford a fancy set-up. I have to save some money to buy me a pH test kit, a fan and some nutes...