Is this even possible?

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Just a Canadian, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lets say I post a picture of a recent pick up and say somthing like "Hey I just got this QP of Buba Kush". Can't the police get my IP address and track me down? Or am I just being paraniod? :smoking:

2. take a screen shot of the picture using the "prnt src" or something like that then paste it in paint or photo shop then crop it out so its the pic only and not the whole computer screen..then re-save it then upload the screen shot

3. But police can eaisly obtain my IP from other posts not just the pictures. Besides I have already disabeld geotagging on my camera.

4. well just make the thread then you can always put at the very bottom of your post that it isnt really yours you found it off the internet and everything you said was fictional..i see some people have that on their profiles, just put the disclaimer at the bottom of your post

5. They want bigger fish, They dont want you.

6. You're not gonna get burnt for posting a pic of your stash. If you want some sort of peace of mind though, consider using proxies.

7. Thanks, just wasnt sure because ive been busted by cops for downloading illegal movies so I dont want them knocking on my door.

8. so what bout the ppl postin pics of 20 plant grows :confused:

9. They want even bigger fish haha.

OP care to explain how all that happened and how you got caught?

10. No. The police cannot, and will not attempt to track you down. The IP address is logged by the forum and is only viewable by administrators and moderators of the forum. The police would have to obtain a warrant to force Grasscity to disclose your IP address. They would then need to contact the ISP and obtain a further warrant to get your details. The entire process would take weeks and for what? A guy who picked up a little weed? It's not worth there time.

If you came on here and said "Hey I just imported £20k of weed illegally" then maybe it would be a different story :smoking::smoking:

11. #11 oldskoolgrower, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010

It is a trivial matter to get someone's IP address from a forum, for even a regular user.

12. Uh, yeah...That's about as effective as a "GO AWAY!" sign in front of a suspected drug dealers home. :rolleyes:

Give me a break man, if they're gonna come after you, they're gonna come after you, and no bullshit "disclaimer" is going to change that, especially when you're posting pictures.

Ever hear the term "a picture is worth a 1000 words"? Prosecutors have.

OP, as others have pointed out, do not worry. Not only is the server itself outside the US, but unless you're posting pics of some huge 2000-acre crop, cops really are looking for bigger fish, and likely won't bother with the legal issues of obtaining server data under international law for some small-fry bust.

13. Which is why I hope they flush those IP logs daily...Or perhaps hourly. :D

Sure the technical side of it is trivial, but the legal side of international law usually isn't so efficient (thankfully for us).

14. dude check out my siggy

15. Except logs aren't part of the equation. Any user can get any other user's IP address with relative ease if they know what they are doing. I won't go into methods and details.

EDIT:

Your disclaimer is worthless from a legal standpoint. I always laugh hard when I see sigs like that, sorry.

16. There is no other method that is legal. Law enforcement wouldn't entrap you by sending a link with an ip logger on the other end. Other than that vBulletin is designed to stop anyone other than the admins and mods seeing the IPs.

17. nah i think from a legal point of veiw it would back me a little right d:

18. It's perfectly legal. You obviously don't know what entrapment means. It's when LEO's deliberately try to get you to commit a crime then arrest you.

There is absolutely no law against logging an IP address via various legal methods that require no mod or admin access.

Not even a little. If you do not believe me ask a lawyer. It carries about the same weight as saying 'i didn't do it' in court.

19. OSG is right about the disclaimer. I laugh when I see them as well. No offense to anyone. I laugh at the disclaimers, not the people with the disclaimers in their sigs. :)

The site is based in the Netherlands so the "police" as you called them can't get anything from Grasscity.

No matter what, you should always be careful with what you post. Always. Everything you post here is available for the entire world to see.

I'm going to close this thread. It's paranoia induced and, really, people need to read up on how, what, why and where when it comes to anything you do online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.