Is This Even Accurate?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Label425, Feb 17, 2002.

1. I read at an indoor marijuana growing FAQ that this is how u should start out if u have soil and seeds and all:

Put the seeds in the soil about 1/4" down. Water well and put a sheet of plastic over the top until the sprouts pop through. Take the plastic off when you see them starting to come up. One seed per pot.

Is this even accurate, because I'v never heard of doing that, also, because I'm new and never done it before. Also, is it OK if I just put the plants next to and level to the window, lots of light shine through there. I also thought it wouild be nice there, because I could let in fresh air every once in a while. Help would be much appreciated, thanx

2. I've planted seeds straight into soil before but I use the paper towel method now. What is the paper towel method you might ask? Well it's really quite simple:

• Soak a paper towel in distilled water or just plain tap water.
      Wring it out so that it is moist and not as damp.
      Fold the towel in half and put it on a plate.
      Put the seeds on one half and fold the towel in half again so it covers the seeds.
      Put another plate over the top of the 1st plate and put it in a dark spot.
      Check the seeds at least once a day and spray the towel only when necessary.

There's many variations of the paper towel method but this way works the best for me. But before even getting the plates out I let the seeds soak overnight in tap water that has been in open air for a couple days.
    Also it's best to have the seeds germinate in a warm area at about 80F. Some people put plates on a heating pad. Others put them on top of a furnace, refrigerator, or computer. I also remember reading somewhere that some big appliances don't even need to be turned on to emit energy. Good Luck!

3. Print or save as a guide,,,this is the most widely used technique....

Germination Info

Storage; Seeds can and should be stored in a refrigerator if they are not going to be used right away. The best storage method is to place seeds in a film canister with a few grains of rice (uncooked rice will absorb moisture). Place canister with contents in the refrigerator and they should have a shelf life of two years or more. The longer you wait to use your seeds, the greater the chances of germination rates lowering. If you wish to store for longer periods of time, then you can freeze them but make sure they are well dried before doing so.
    Germination; There are many different methods but this one is tried and true. It's easy enough for the new grower so it is highly suggested. Before you start, place your seeds in the refrigerator overnight. This will help induce a better germination rate. If using very fresh seeds, make sure they are allowed to dry for at least two to three weeks before using.
    You will require; 1 liter of distilled or bottled water such as Naya, 1/2 teaspoon of bleach (regular bleach, not the one for colors), 1 zip lock bag (sandwich size), 1 J-Cloth brand dishtowel or a clean piece of loose knit cotton. I prefer the J-Cloth as it can retain moisture yet it is also very porous.
    Mix the bottled water with a half a teaspoon of bleach. By now you are thinking “Bleach? That is going to kill my seeds”, well don't. This subject has been debated but never proven. Chlorine is already present in tap water, and many have germinated using tap water. The reason for the bottled water is to avoid using too much chlorine as well as avoiding any impurities that can be found in tap or well water. What the bleach will do is prevent mold from growing, as you will be storing these seeds in very humid conditions for the next few days to about a week. This amount of bleach will not harm nor affect the seeds at all.
    Once the mixture is ready, take your J-Cloth (check Wal Marts if you still don't know what a J-Cloth is) and fold neatly into four so it fits into the zip lock bag. Submerge it into your mix of water and bleach and let soak. Remove it and wring out the excess water. The cloth should not to be dripping wet, just wet to the touch. Seeds require air as much as they require water. Over watering can and will prevent seeds from opening. Carefully take your seeds and place them inside the fold of the J-Cloth. Spread them out and fold over the J-Cloth. Place inside the zip lock bag and blow some air inside, seal and now just look for a warm place to keep the bag. The top of your refrigerator should work fine but just make sure it is not in direct sunlight. The darker the area, the better. Make sure you do not have cold or are smoking when you blow air into the bag. Germs and carbon monoxide can kill your seeds.
    Check every 12 hours to see if any seeds have exposed their taproot. If so, carefully transplant into your medium. Blow some more air in the bag and seal if there are still seeds that have not opened. Some seeds do take longer than others to germinate so you should give it at least two weeks before you can be certain remaining seeds will not germinate. Please take note that if the seeds open and a taproot starts, the seed is fine. Once transplanted, if there is a problem with the seedling, it is not because of the seed. There is a problem with the rest of your procedure. Blaming the seed is really not the way to go. Different strains need different conditions so be careful with which strain you work with and how to maintain it. Some prefer less nutrients than others, this is relative to the strain you are growing and data should be kept to support each different strain you attempt.
    You can also add to the mixture of water a few drops of Fish Emulsion or Super Thrive. This will cause the taproot to grow much faster so keep it well monitored. Do not wait too long to transplant as the seedling will have a harder time breaking through soil if transplanted with a very long taproot

[​IMG]