Is this enough light to start my plants before transplanting them outside?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by sekret pker, Feb 11, 2009.

1. So, I have access to:
    -A compact fluorescent aquarium light that uses one 26inch bulbs
    -One of those super small compact flurescent fixtures that use a bulb thats around 9inches (i think? not exactly sure)
    -Another aquarium hood with two 23 watt daylight screw in fluorescent bulbs (those spiral ones)
    -A third aquarium hood that uses one 12inch (ish) regular fluorescent bulb. (not compact fluorescent)

Questions:

1. I plan on starting about 15-20 seeds in cups, and i was wondering which of those 3 lights I should use (Or which combination of them?)

2. Which bulbs should i purchase? i was thinking of buying them from a pet store, but which "K" of lightbulb I should use? ( Im guessing 6500k, because thats whats best for aquatic plants)

3. If i remember correctly, lightbulbs sold at petstores are normally quite expensive, so is there a cheaper alternative that works just as well?

Thanks in Advance

2. If you go to the indoor section of this site, there is a great article about CFL lights and which to use, the 6500K 26w CFLs will work well for seedlings and veg, you just need to make sure to put them very close to your plants, they aren't as powerful so you can get them close to your plants without burning them. You can buy them at most stores like Wal-Mart and Target etc and they are cheap, normally no more than $5-11.

Good luck!

3. I read that thread, but it's only about the screw in compact fluorescents...the ones im talking about are the long ones.

4. You are in the outdoor forum. Not many of us have an awful lot to do with lights. The indoor guys can tell you more. Good luck.

5. Go with the screw-in type CFL bulbs. Look for the daylight or bright white type (6500K). 6-8 of those should work until its time to go outside.